Russell's Report - 2008

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
More Details and pictures later this week...buts heres a start...we had a great trip and are already looking forward to next year

Dad showed us how its done big 9pt 205lbs

My 8pt 186lbs

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
DAMN!!!!!!!!! Way to go guys...definitely need more pics and some details/stories. Compared to a lot of guys who went to ME this year you guys certainly got it done!! Way to go

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
The Russell's definitely got it done this year!!! Awesome guys...way to go! Congrats to you and your dad.... DL

bbruno

Reaction score
wow what a rack on the second buck. Nice bucks. Way to get it done guys. Can't wait to hear the stories.

Paul/NH

Reaction score
Can't see the pics at work, but looking forward to getting home and checking them out. Way to go RB & Mr. RB!

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Well here's my story. Its kinda long so bear with me...I'll post up some more pictures later in the week and I'm sure Jeff will be on to give a recap of his hunt...

Well Jeff and I left Boston at 4:30 on Wednesday the 19th. We got to camp around midnight and after unpacking and organizing everything we went to sleep for a few hours. The plan was to scout around a few areas we have hunted in the past and also walk around a few new areas that looked good on the topos. Well before this trip started I had decided I wanted a nice buck or no buck. I have always taken the first legal buck that offered a shot so passing deer up is new to me (I figured after last winter it wouldn’t hurt to pass up the younger deer anyways). Thursday morning found us the same spot I shot by buck last year. I was 2.5miles from the truck and decided it was time to turn around. I saw some sign but nothing to get excited about. When I got to within .5mile from the truck I jumped up a deer. I swung on it in the scope and “confirmed” it was a doe. “She” stuck around for a while and I kept putting the scope on her. After a while I cranked it up to 8x and that’s when the doe became a spike! Now I already decided to pass on spikes but I wasn’t really expecting to see a spike on the first day. I have to admit; I had the safety off but was able to hold off (thank God!). I met Jeff at the truck and we left that area to check out another location. On the way there we pulled a camera that had been up since October. We got two nice bucks on camera as well as several does (mostly in Nov) however, there weren’t any fresh tracks in the areas so we left it and kept going down the road. The afternoon’s scout showed some deer sign but again nothing too exciting. Dad came up and hunted the afternoon and we met back at camp. Friday morning Dad went to where he had found some good sign earlier in the season and Jeff and I went in where Jeff got his buck last year. I found a spot where a buck had crossed several times since the snow I marked it on my GPS to come back to I also found a nice moose antler and continued on the walk. At about 9:00 I jumped up a nice buck but just couldn’t get a shot he was with a doe so I got on there tracks trying to catch up to them with a 10lb moose antler on my pack was impossible I left the track and met Jeff at the truck. I told him I’d like to come back to this spot at some point but wanted to check out another spot before lunch. ON that walk I found a small bull moose skull and lugged it out to the truck. I kept seeing buck tracks but very few doe tracks…the bucks were really roaming. We met dad for lunch and planned the afternoon’s hunt. Dad was going to stay on his stand while Jeff and I scouted out another spot the plan was to meet at dark where dad was parked. I found some decent doe track in the afternoon and Jeff found some good sign too. We met at the truck a little early and started heading over to Dad. When we got a mile away we heard dad come on the radio “I got a big 9 point down!” he said he could hear the trucks engine rev. When we finally got to him he was pumped. I haven’t seen his eyes light up like that in a while. We made our way down to the buck and weren’t disappointed. A massive 9pt fell victim to Dad’s .308. The buck came out of the swamp in front of Dad and one shot to the neck put him down for good. We met a few guys that were hunting the same area with a guide and they helped us with the drag. What a long deer he dressed out at 205lbs (Dad’s 4th 200lber). What a great memory.

Saturday we got a decent snow storm and checked out a few new spots but nothing was moving during the storm. Still a great day to be in the woods. We spent Sunday around camp doing some chores (emptying the outhouses) but managed to scout an area in the afternoon. Found some decent buck tracks but no doe tracks also saw two bull moose. Monday morning found me sitting in the spot where I saw the doe sign earlier. I built up a nice ground blind before lunch and leaned the area a little better. The sign looked even better then before. I met Jeff at the truck and we headed over to meet Dad and his brother for lunch (Dad was sitting over his gut pile). After lunch we decided to head back in to where I jumped the buck on Friday. My plan was to parallel the road still hunting until I reached the spot where that buck had been crossing then I was going to sit for the last hour of light. As I got closer to the edge of the cutting I started grunting with my voice and turning the can call over trying to sound like a buck chasing a doe (not that I know what that sounds like). I did this several times the last time being around 3:05. I kept poking along scanning the woods for deer. At 3:12 I glanced to my right and there was a nice buck standing 60-70yards away staring right at me! I will never forget how he looked…he was glowing in the setting sun and as I brought the gun up I thought “I can’t believe this is happening”. I settled the crosshairs on his neck and touched one off. I was pretty sure he went down by ran the 60yards to make sure. I gave him one more shot in the neck even though it was not necessary. I called the boys on the radio and they came over. I didn’t realize how big his rack was until Jeff came over and held him up. We dressed him off and dragged him out in the starlight. He’s not a monster but I don’t think there will ever be a day when I can pass up a buck like this. A nice 8pt rack and he dressed out at 186lbs. Another great memory in the Maine Woods!

Last edited:

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Great story and great deer!! Congrats to you and your dad.....bout time we got a smiling picture out of your old man, by the way!

Latest posts