Running two sets of tires

Mainewoods

Reaction score
How many of you guys run two sets of tires during the year? Do you use a winter/summer, or run a "summer" tire and then an AT for hunting? I usually run an AT all year, but wondering if two sets are better. If I did run two sets, probably best to get another set of rims as well.

41mag

Reaction score
I run steelies with a dedicated winter tire from November to April, then alloys with Michelin Defenders all summer.
Alloys dont have TPMS in them, so the light stays on:eek:
Cant stand paying for tire changeovers.
Plus, I can get 3-4 years out of a set of tires.

Browseline

Reaction score
I use winter tires all year. I only drive about 7000 miles a year. There are times in the summer where winter tires work better for me. The change over in the fall and spring along with balancing would cost me about $200 a year. Getting extra rims with pressure sensors would be expensive. Because I don't put on many miles this is the most economical way to go for me.

JDK

Reaction score
I don't on my truck right now but probably will. I average over 20K per year and wear tires out rather quickly. We run 2 sets on my wife's car.

I know a lot of guys here that do with their trucks. Mainly studded tires in the winter.

Big D

Reaction score
This is something I have thought about a bit. Middle of summer I get sick of bouncing around on 10 plys but haven't been able to justify doing it for only july through september.

JDK

Reaction score
FYI, we switch tires (1 set of rims) on my wife car and it cost $30

Mainewoods

Reaction score
FYI, we switch tires (1 set of rims) on my wife car and it cost $30
This is what I was thinking. But then again, do I want a set of tires floating around my garage just getting in the way.. I have a set of decent Michelin tires now with 50% wear, but also want a nice set of AT's.

mowbizz

Reaction score
In an ideal world running 2 sets is the way to go... big expense for sure but perhaps worth it in the long run?

lester2

Reaction score
I’ll have a dedicated set of winters on steel rims with TPM sensors within a week, they are at my mechanics garage right now waiting for him to put em together. Total cost will be about $1100.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I run BFG AT’s year round. I only put on around 8,000 miles a year and enough of those are on the woods roads up to camp that I want to keep the heavy ply tires on. I’ve seen too many stones through summer tires on other peoples trucks, no thanks.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I've always run AT's year around.

Last year I put studded snows on my recycled Coors can F-150, but the POS was still far worse in the snow than our GMC with AT tires.

Reactions: JDK

Grandkid

Reaction score
I run 1 set of AT’s and change them out around 45-50 thousand miles which happens to be annually.
Roger-

medrhunter

Reaction score
I run two sets on my Tundra.
Micheline's most of the year and Grabber AT-2's for hunting season.
I get almost 2 miles per gallon better on the Micheline's. (AT-2's are 10 ply)
I lucked out and picked up a set of stock rims on e-bay for $200 so i don't pay to swap out.
They are in better shape than my original rims.
That was the deciding factor

Pine-lock

Reaction score
BFG KO 2s all year round
I just ordered a set. I've had them in the past and liked them. My current truck had tires to new to justify not using for a while but have finally gotten to the point where I can upgrade.

I do like that you can go up to a 285 size tire in the BFG and not get into an E load. I do not tow or haul anything that heavy and the E loads give a pretty rough ride.

arlow

Reaction score
I have eloads and they ride just fine. Keep them inflated around 42 lbs. Got 63,000 miles out of the last set. They did ride a bit harsh when worn way down. I have about a year on this set and they ride like butter

Latest posts