Runaround from LL Bean

NH Mountains

Reaction score
The straw that broke the camels back with their guarantee was when Shawn Gorman, the president, donated clothing to the goodwill that had his name on it. Somebody bought the clothing and returned it under their previous return policy for a new item. Word got back to him about the return of his personal shirt and that was one of the defining moment for the change. Plenty of people were abusing their returns policy and then bragging about it online so others did as well.

On the other hand 5+ years on a pair of boots is good quality in today’s throw away world. I returned a pair of leather boots to them because a pull tab for the heel ripped off after a few weeks and had to supply the proof of purchase as well.

AMT1379

Reaction score
The straw that broke the camels back with their guarantee was when Shawn Gorman, the president, donated clothing to the goodwill that had his name on it. Somebody bought the clothing and returned it under their previous return policy for a new item. Word got back to him about the return of his personal shirt and that was one of the defining moment for the change. Plenty of people were abusing their returns policy and then bragging about it online so others did as well.

On the other hand 5+ years on a pair of boots is good quality in today’s throw away world. I returned a pair of leather boots to them because a pull tab for the heel ripped off after a few weeks and had to supply the proof of purchase as well.
I never heard that story, but heard and saw plenty of the policy abuse. A damn shame fore sure.

MGK

Reaction score
Sadly the utter abuse brought this. I know of people who would gear up and return everything at the end of the season so they could gear up for the next season. Habitually did that every year. Was only a matter of time before they caught on. My last return was a downeast rod holder that lasted 1 trip before breaking in half. They swapped it out no questions asked

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Shame what people with no integrity did to LLBean.
It's more then just LL Bean...... It's a shame what people have done to our society with no morals, ethics or integrity. Our society has misidentified who's a "victim" in every day life.

Not to get too political, but look at bail reform. We have politicians that claim bail keeps "poor people poor". Here's a thought...... stay out of trouble and you don't have to worry about finding bail money!!! Better yet, if those people consumed their time looking for work, working once they found work, they'd realize they don't have time or energy to commit crimes.

I have a few friends in law enforcement. I'm sure this hits home with you as well.

As for the Bean warranty thing.... I can see both sides. What I'm annoyed with as a person who purchased a lot of Bean goods, is the CS people that would tell you "you have a 100% satisfaction guarantee". I called CS a few years back asking if I purchased Lacrosse Alpha burly sports, and the heal wore out like they do after two years would you replace them? The lady said YES. I could never understand that business model of replacing another companies merchandise.

I have a pair of waders from Bean that I purchase specifically from them because of the warranty they boasted. With that being said, I understand now that is no longer an option when they are worn out. I still think Bean has some decent quality merchandise, but I won't pay over and above what the product is worth to me personally. So with that being said, Bean may suffer in future sales going forward. But that would take a lot of people spending their money some place else for it to be a wash on the 250 Million a year they are claiming were taking place in false or fraudulent claims. It's their company and their choice. Sounds like Igloo won't be buying from them again, and I will be treating Bean like any other store. I'm just looking for the best price I can find on a decent product. Usually for me that means I don't buy anything I want or need until I can get it on a well marked down sale.

Igloo

Reaction score
Well, I just contacted Boa and ordered the free repair kit. No questions asked. LL Bean could take a cue from these guys.

bmiller

Reaction score
my wife went thru the same thing with a emergency alert radio they said i needed a receipt which we didnt have then another girl come back on an said they found where i had ordered so it was covered

longbow

Reaction score
my wife went thru the same thing with a emergency alert radio they said i needed a receipt which we didnt have then another girl come back on an said they found where i had ordered so it was covered
I bought a weather radio there. What a piece of crap. Not blaming LLBean just wondering if that is why you returned it?

Igloo

Reaction score
I'm going dark for the foreseeable future, but in the interest of fairness, I wanted to make one more post.

It looks like LL Bean finally honored their warranty. After getting their "research" department to find proof of my purchase, I took this proof and the boots into a local LL Bean. The attendant issued me a gift card for the full purchase price, no questions asked. Still not terribly happy with the runaround, but on a money level, they made it good.

Unfortunately for me, it looks like I'll need to roadtrip to Freeport, ME to get the boots I want, as none of the satellite stores seem to carry them. (I considered the "Bean Boots" which were on sale in Concord, but I couldn't get past that mid-foot seam. I think it would drive me crazy.)

bmiller

Reaction score
I bought a weather radio there. What a piece of crap. Not blaming LLBean just wondering if that is why you returned it?
the spring in battery compartment fell off and so she would have to use the crank for solar on it to hear . she would hand crank it the whole time to hear alerts it was a piece of junk

bmiller

Reaction score
I'm going dark for the foreseeable future, but in the interest of fairness, I wanted to make one more post.

It looks like LL Bean finally honored their warranty. After getting their "research" department to find proof of my purchase, I took this proof and the boots into a local LL Bean. The attendant issued me a gift card for the full purchase price, no questions asked. Still not terribly happy with the runaround, but on a money level, they made it good.

Unfortunately for me, it looks like I'll need to roadtrip to Freeport, ME to get the boots I want, as none of the satellite stores seem to carry them. (I considered the "Bean Boots" which were on sale in Concord, but I couldn't get past that mid-foot seam. I think it would drive me crazy.)
glad it worked out a little better for you