Rules For Getting Idaho In-State License


New member
Oct 19, 2007
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get an Idaho in-state hunting license and deer tag? What are the rules? Do you have to live there, or do you just need a piece of property there that you pay taxes on? I grew up in Southeast Idaho and live only about 60 miles from where I grew up.(some of the best deer and elk country you can find) Utah is overcrowded during the hunt. I want to at least spend one weekend a year hunting my old stomping grounds but can't afford to pay $500 to do it. Anyone here an expert?


Well-known member
Apr 12, 2004
Reaction score
Tennessee / New Jersey
Idaho Residency Requirements
Proof of residency is required before issuance of any resident license. A resident is defined as any person who has been domiciled in the state of Idaho, with a bona fide intent to make this his/her place of permanent abode for a period of not less than six months immediately preceding the date of application for any license, tag or permit. Domicile means the place where an individual has his/her true, fixed, permanent home to which he/she has the intention of returning whenever he/she is absent.

A driver must produce his/her Idaho driver's license as proof of residency; or a nondriver must produce suitable proof of residency, such as an Idaho Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, documents bearing his/her name and address (not issued by himself/herself) such as: in the case of a child under 18, identification from a parent; OR by producing two of the following: rent receipts or mortgage statements for the previous six months, home utility bills for the previous six months, notarized statement from an employer on business letterhead, or proof of voter registration dated six months prior. A previous year's hunting license is not proof of residency. Ownership of property or paying of taxes within the state of Idaho is NOT a qualification for residency. No one can claim Idaho resident privileges while claiming resident privileges in another state (except military personnel).

A member of the military service of the U.S. or of a foreign country, together with spouse and children under 18 years of age, residing in his/her household, who have been officially transferred, stationed, domiciled, and on active duty in the state of Idaho for a period of 30 days preceding application shall be eligible, as long as such assignment continues, to purchase a resident license. A member of the Idaho National or Air National Guard, domiciled in Idaho for 30 days preceding application shall be eligible, as long as such residency continues, to purchase a resident license.

Idaho residents who are in the U.S. military service, and maintain Idaho as their official state of residence as shown on their current leave and earnings statement, together with spouse and children (under 18 years of age) residing in his/her household shall be eligible to purchase a resident license. The service person himself/herself is eligible for a furlough permit from an IDFG office or any vendor in lieu of a license while on leave. Other permits and validations must be attached as required.


Active member
Apr 8, 2005
Reaction score
Spencer, MA
wow - an almost 3-year old thread revived .....glad this one made it to the top of the list :rolleyes:

Latest posts