rpc55's outdoor log:

rpc55

Reaction score
We estimated the buck to weigh in the 160 to 170 range. He was a short buck. The weather was absolutely fantastic. Very little wind and a bit too warm for afternoon hunts.
Buck sign everywhere! It was ridiculous the amount of buck sign as compared to Maine. Night and day really...
TUESDAY
Morning hunt in a tree stand near a rock wall. I did not see anything while on stand. I decided to stillhunt for a couple hours. I made my way out of the hardwoods onto a cart path. i stopped behind a clump of poplar trees that grew up in the road to glass a bit. See picture below.

While glassing i hear crunching, deer walking to me.... I turn and get ready....Its walking right to me! The deer turns out to be a doe, no wait...multiple does, the 4 does from yesterday. Oh crap i have no choice but to freeze. I figured they would just walk past me into the thicket at my back. Nope they stop and stack up in the road literally on the other side of the trees. 10 feet or less... I did not look at them, just looked straight ahead and could see them in the corners of my eyes. Well the lead doe knew something was up. she looked at me up and down...stomped... ears pointed and tail up. the others did not pay no attention to me. I looked like a statue frozen but i have a bad back and don't know how long i can hold out like this... Finally the lead doe just didn't like it so she turned and made they made their way back into the hardwoods slowly... they disappeared into the brush. WOW what a close encounter...there was no wind at the time at all but other than scent on my boots I don't do any kind of scent control. That made my whole trip....
Evening hunt I did not see anything but Teddy, my brothers buddy shot a spike horn buck we forgot to take any pics of. He was also stillhunting when it walked up to him.

Wednesday i was alone in camp and it warmed up. i did not see anything all day that day....

Thursday morning hunt i did not see anything and it was quite warm for the afternoon hunt. i sat at a new location to me, near the border of the property. at about 4:00 I heard a shot pretty close to me. About 5 minutes later i see deer running just to my 11 o'clock. I quickly get the scope on them. damn it...its the four does i got to know real good and the lead doe is injured but i can't put her down....too bad....And that is how my 2015 deer season came to a close....unless i go back for the black powder season......;)

rpc55

Reaction score
12/19/15
04:00 - 08:00 mid 20's light winds

Made three stands this morning. Two in darkness for coyotes and the last in daylight for a fox or cat.
Stand one was my first at this location this season. I was surprised to see that the field hadn't been hayed. It had waist high weeds and rods. It was slow going too as it had rained earlier that day and then had frosted up so the leaves were crunchy. I should have went out after it stopped raining.. Called for 30 minutes with my mouth calls and ecall, and nothing showed.

Stand two was also in a field adjacent to planted pines. I always see coyote scat in the road here and sure enough fresh scat in the cart path but here again nothing showed. Mouth calls and ecall.

Stand three started in gray light in a power line near a large swamp where i have been getting the cat on camera. I soon found evidence my feline friend had been around recently.

I sat up on a knoll on the edge of a power line. I decided to leave my e caller and decoy at the truck and just brought my mouth calls. i get sick of carrying all that gear sometimes. I started with distress call and within a minute a red tail hawk flew over the line straight for me and with his wings spread i thought he was coming straight for my head! He landed in a pine tree right above me but he saw me move and took off. wish I had my camera.... nothing else showed...

I deployed my new Spec Ops black camera replacing the older Range Ops red camera.

rpc55

Reaction score
12/28/31 30 North winds, gusty

07:15- 08:15 Set up the ecall and decoy in the power line. Wind picked up ever since the sun came up. Started calling...
called in the blood thirsty beast ;)....

there is a fine line between hunting and looking like a fool making weird noises in the bushes....

rpc55

Reaction score
Walking back to my pickup something white caught my eye on the edge of the power line. Upon closer inspection I discovered a dead deer.
As it lay

I could not see any sign of wrong doing or predation but I decided the right thing to do was to call and report it. I called the Gray headquarters and a warden called me back. He was not in the area so I told him I would have a closer look for him and send him pictures. I had a closer look on both sides and could not find blood under it or on it or any bullet holes. Other than the eye and lip there was no scavenging or sign of a predator kill. Seems to have been just a winter kill??

With the wardens permission I cut it open to see if the meat was any good. If so he would write me a permit for it but the meat had turned already. Warden said "Good place to coyote Hunt". Roger that....

Latest posts