rpc55's outdoor log:

rpc55

Reaction score
9/23/15
First stand of this new season at the planted pines. I howled in a coyote here last December at night and missed after rushing the shot...
Set out the call and Mojo decoy. After sitting down and waiting I see a Redtail hawk circling the decoy, hadn't even turned the caller on yet. Start calling and after a few minutes I see three deer walk out at the far corner of the field. Called till legal time was up no other action.
10/16/15
Second time out coyote hunting. First spot at the power lines. While sneaking in I can hear some rifles going off at the sand pit up the road. Gave it a shot anyway but no luck.
Second spot I park and just started walking in the woods when, what looked like a warden truck flew past in the direction I was going. Not sure what was going on but after the bust on stand one I decided to go to a different spot. Third spot had a truck parked there so continued on not wanting to disturb the other hunter..
Third stand right before dark. This spot i hear the coyotes howling from a lot. I walk in on the backside of a hill that has been clear cut. As I get to the top there is a doe standing there looking right at me. I freeze and watch her. After a minute she bounds off. I sneak up wanting to call overlooking the area below but that doe didn't go far, and of course she starts blowing at me and alerting the whole area. No takers....

Last edited:

rpc55

Reaction score
10/24
Youth day. 25 degrees. Going to funnel in town H. Grab camera chips on the way to the natural ground blind. Settle in just in time for legal time. Check cameras. Wow no crossing in a month and a half??? Had them crossing daily.... Sit for 3.5 hrs no luck. So take a closer look at the funnel, oh man.... Surprise tree stand in site of my camera hahaha. Oh well nothing I can do but what upsets me is that he places a 12 foot double wide ladder stand right in the middle of the funnel???

Afternoon hunt
Small doe in the field on the ride in got us feeling good about the hunt but it was not to be this day as we did not see a deer during our afternoon sit. We tried calling sporadically but no luck. Had a coyote howl at dusk in the draw below us. Son says he had fun... That means the world to me....

Last edited:

rpc55

Reaction score
10/31/15
Opening day 25 degrees. Hunting close to home. While traveling to my spot, My plans changed quickly as I spotted a nice buck in the same spot as the dos last week on youth day. Looked like a good eight pointer. It was still way too early at 5:30. I thought I would put my gear on and make my way back to the field an glass to see where the buck was headed. Befor I got my gear on another truck cam by. Shined his lhead lights in the field and spooked it off. I don't know why I bothered as I knew there would be ten other trucks on this dirt road within half an hour. I wasn't disappointed. Abandoned that plan and headed for my stand. Today was going to be a zoo. I am hoping someone pushes a deer by my stand but nothing.

Afternoon hunt. Hunters everywhere at the usual spots. Had to dig deep to find a corner to myself. I pul in to park and what do I see, a doe feeding next to a cemetery. It never saw me and I watched her for a minute and headed into the woods to find a spot to sit till dark. It's a thick spot here but sat next to a small opening near a run till dark. Nothing. As I make my way back to my truck in the dark I jumped two doe's right behind my truck. They ran back across the road into the cemetery. They stayed there and blew at me for a bit but stayed put. I watched them for a while with my binoks. Overall a decent day. Lots of shots heard.

rpc55

Reaction score
11/2/15
Deer camp number two. Nice cool morning around 30. Windy out of the west but blowing around good in the woods. Rattled a bit at a couple different locations but no luck. Nothing moving with these winds so still hunted for a while till my dad shows up. I found very little sign. Did find one rub and a scrape nearby. Neither one were fresh. I heard the chainsaw so time to go to work. Did firewood for the rest of the day.

11/3/15
I traveled home today with some wood and only had a couple hours to hunt befor dark. 67 degrees and balmy. Slight west wind. About an hour in I heard a shot pretty close to me. Then heard a local shooting off his handgun for about an hour till it got dark. I swear this guy doesn't want people hunting nearby. Pretty sure it was this guy setting off fireworks at first light on opening day. What a duesh dag. Nothing seen. Found the other hunter up the road. Looked like he got a spike horn I captured on camera earlier.

rpc55

Reaction score
11/4/15 All day hunt
Sunny cool morning calm winds. Decided to call and rattle near a large swamp. I called in two spots with no luck. It was tough to find a good spot to see. Still a lot of leaves. Still hunted for a bit and checked the cameras shedding clothes the whole way. I had one small basket 8 cross.

rpc55

Reaction score
for the first time in nearly two years with a camera at this spot I got coyotes.

rpc55

Reaction score
On my way to the next camera I spot scat on the trail, i figured it was the coyotes marking out there territories, but as i was standing next to my camera which was just 20 yards from the scat, A fox walked right up to me, saw me and then booked it. a few lips squeaks got him to stop and look but that was it. I was lucky to capture him on a nearby camera. After further inspection the scat was from the fox.

Decided I was going to sit in the oaks till dark. It was hot with calm winds and nothing seen but gray squirrels. At about 3:30 I heard a shot and then 10minutes later another shot closer to me but never heard any running..
At dark I get up and walk a short distance and jump a deer that was heading my way.... frustrating...

rpc55

Reaction score
11/5/15
Morning hunt. Cool lights winds out of west. Still hunt/scouting in the tall pines with a mix of hardwoods. Can see pretty good. About a half hour in I heard some crashing and must have jumped more than one deer. I could not see them nor did I ever catch up with them. I found two fresh scrapes, no rubs yet. Friggen hot...

Afternoon hunt. Balmy hunting in a t shirt swatting mosquitoes????WTF. Sat in the oaks...nothing

11/6/15 I didn't hunt this morning I had to drop my son off at school and decided to get some work done at the house. Didn't get done till 3:00 and didn't have time to go anywhere so sat behind the house. Have been seeing does come to the apple trees on my property and the neighbors. Saw one last week in daylight but nothing showed up but the mosquitoes...unbelievable. Is this November in Maine? Should have jumped on my H-D.

rpc55

Reaction score
11/7/15
I headed north to zone 15 on a scouting/stillhunt to an area I hunted before that held decent sign last year. Winds from the west gusty at times. Founds some rubs from last year in a hemlock stand. Couldn't find any sign in the hardwoods too many leaves. In the low country in soft ground there were tracks but not sure how old...

Afternoon hunt with my son. we sat on an oak ridge adjacent to a large apple orchard looking and glassing below. It was an enjoyable afternoon with my son, the weather was comfortable but deer movement was nonexistent...

rpc55

Reaction score
hell week at work! lots of overtime, seems like everything was breaking down... I'm in the mill now in fact, got called in. Double time!!!!

11/14/15
Mid 30's NW wind. 5:30 - 11:00
Sitting this morning in a funnel next to doe bedding area. Lots of oaks in this area too. they feed and bed here. The crossing that I have a cam on is just upwind. About 8:15 i catch movement and see a flash of gray. Can't hear it. I grunt a few times but nothing...
At 10 I decide to still hunt to my cameras. OK great starting to find fresh rubs and scrapes...

I checked and there was some movement. Bucks are moving at night and a fawn @07:30...

14:00 to end Gusty NW wind
Sat downwind of another bedding area but the winds were swirling and making me nervous I elected to back out and scout/stillhunt a cutting nearby. Found more sign but nothing fresh.
On vacation next week and hopefully weather cooperates.

rpc55

Reaction score
11/16/15 All day hunt. day one of 2 week vacation. Mid 30's light winds, slightly out of NW.
Sat in the oaks near a funnel from dark to about 9:45 when the winds picked up. I decided Still hunt down to another area to redeploy camera #1. Found a ton of sign and more deer trails. Makes sense due to all the activity on my cameras this summer and fall but the does that were here are no longer spending time here. probably due to all the treestands that were erected, found 3. Deployed camera and stillhunted into the wind to where I plan on sitting till dark. I flushed my first grouse of the season, then another, they were together but didn't flush at the same time. About 15 minutes later I jumped a bedded deer. I was looking at a year old rub when it jumped, only a mere 25 yards away.. Damn thing was hidden perfectly. I bleated with my mouth in an attempt to stop it then got on the grunt tube and sat tight and listened. Nothing...it had me pegged from the time I flushed the grouse. Never caught up to it and nothing showed up where I sat.
Upon leaving and just 1/4 mile from where I was parked 3 does cross the field and the dirt road in front of me and then another doe about 1/2 mile up the road. The same field I spotted a doe on Youth day and the buck on opening day. OK light bulbs..... They are heading to the planted pines and the big swamp behind the pines.

bucks are cruising at night still...

rpc55

Reaction score
11/17/15 mid 20's light winds out of NW.
Sat from dark till about 9 overlooking an oak flat near the rubs and scrapes I found last week. nothing showed. Before leaving to run some errands I built a ground blind by a blow down. I plan to hunt this area when the deer return here during black powder season.
Afternoon hunt.
Stillhunt/scout the planted pines adjacent to the field and the big swamp. This area is so thick that it is dark during midday. There are runs throughout and some scrub oaks mixed in. There bedding in the pines. Half hour before legal a truck passes by and what must be a deer spooked and ran a short distance. It was pretty close by, I soft grunted for a bit and glassed the field. Nothing showed but got more important intel.

rpc55

Reaction score
11/18/15
17 degrees and a slight NW wind Clear beautiful day. A great day for deer hunting. Too damn cold to sit for too long.
I'm gonna take the intel I learned this week grab the 30-30 and hit the swamp....

Maine 4 point

Last edited:

rpc55

Reaction score
New York trip 11/21 thru 11/24
This years trip was a complete disaster! Flu in camp. Puking all night kind of flu. 5 out of 9 were sick including my 75 year old parents who took it very hard. My son and nephews were also sick. The weather was great but my deer sightings were down from previous years. Only saw 10 deer this year. My son and I hunted Saturday and saw 3 deer but all doe's. Next morning we saw one doe before he headed home. On Monday afternoon i saw my biggest buck to date in NY. A wide 8 that will go down as one that got away....I was slowly walking to my treestand in the hardwoods. It was just after 2:00 pm. I slowed my pace as I just jumped a doe that was feeding! I would take a couple steps down the cart path and then scan the hardwoods below then look down the path in front before taking a couple more steps. Well after just scanning the hardwoods I look up the path and there he is right in the road looking at me, maybe 50 - 60 yards, nothing but air between us. My gun is in my hands but I freeze hoping for the best. I think we had the same thought, OH SHIT. I take the safety off and start to raise my scoped Tikka... and at the same moment he leaps off the trail. I couldn't find him in the scope so I book it down the road looking down the open hardwoods for a shot when all of a sudden his DOE, whome I had not seen, ran past me on the same trail as the buck. I really never could get a clean shot so I just watched them run. What a site to see that big buck run. he was outside his ears a good one! I tip my hat. You win some, you lose some......Did'nt see anything after that. Hoping to return in a couple weeks.

"Pond stand" in the hardwoods...

ravines run deep in NY

Last edited:

rpc55

Reaction score
11/26
Back to the swamp with the carcass and my .223. I know there are coyotes in the area and I plan on checking the gut pile and the camera I placed. Slowly approaching the area I hear something scramble off. Its not from the pile but close by, hmmm. The guts are completely gone and the batteries are dead with 77 vids.
Mostly crows but did achieve target success although I messed up bad placing the camera. I chained the carcass to a tree so the cat can't drag it off. I placed the camera better this time.

I scouted around a bit in the swamp. I found an old tote road in there. It snaked through the swamp on higher ground. The deer also used the old road. I got to an area with tall grass and cat tails when I heard a deer stand up. After listening for a short time and being tagged out i continued on. When doing so the deer bolted off...never did see it, but I was close.

After checking the camera in the field and getting what I was hoping for, I scouted for a place to make a stand to try and call in this cat opening day 12/1. I figure the cat must be in the swamp somewhere? I chose a spot on top of the ridge on the edge of the swamp with the planted pines at my back, only yards from where i shot my buck....

rpc55

Reaction score
12/1 cold clear light winds 15* 07:00
Opening day Bobcat
I wanted to make one stand before work. I decided to wear my steel toe leather workboots. That was a big mistake. Slipping all over the ridge and feet were cold..
Set up the caller and motion decoy at the spot I scouted last week. Let the caller play for 45 minutes. Way longer than I usually do for coyotes and fox but I read that cats may take longer to stalk in. No luck

I checked the carcass cam on my way out. I placed the carcass 5 days ago so I was anxious to see what was on the cam. BUST only one visitor....

Its the nine point i got on camera earlier this year. Glad to see he made it through rifle season. I had a hunch the bucks were spending time in this swamp...

rpc55

Reaction score
12/5/15 mid 20s light winds. Bobcat stand
I made a rookie mistake this morning. I snuck in and setup in darkness and waited for light. Problem was, when the sun rose, it was in my face severely limiting my vision. Damn it! i have about 45 minutes invested in this stand already so I move and face a different direction. No dice nothing but crows...

Stand two i made from my treestand. I hunted this stand only once during deer season. The stand is located near an intersection of about 4 deer trails with some nice rubs nearby. I couldn't help but notice all the deer sign. I setup again with the caller and decoy in a cross wind. No show. I make my way to my cameras.

I redeployed camera 3 in my original crossing. Walked to camera 1 and it only had one spike show up so I pulled that camera. I then check camera 2 at my second crossing. I got a lot of activity on this crossing. it seems like the doe's returned and the bucks followed. i got about 5 or 6 different bucks and some multiple times and some during daylight. if i hadn't of tagged out on the 17th, i would have hunted this crossing hard....

night train...

rpc55

Reaction score
that tall 8 pointer crossed several times always from the same direction and always in darkness. i think he is traveling from that big swamp i hunted...

rpc55

Reaction score
12/6 - 12/10
Trip number two to New York.
I was chomping at the bit to get back to NY after that encounter with the nice buck. I arrived at 2:20 and by 2:35 I was heading to my spot overlooking a food plot. By 3:30 i have deer in front of me. Four doe's that i would get to know real well....Doe's are not on the menu for NR rifle in this zone. I was hoping for a buck to follow as the doe's were looking back but no dice.

MONDAY
Morning hunt I did not see anything. My brother made a push in my direction and discovered a dead buck. It must have been shot on an adjacent property and ran on to my brothers property. A real nice 6 pointer he got many times on camera. we found the entry hole, looked to have just clipped the lungs...

My evening hunt was not productive at all but lead flew on the other side of the property.....My brother shot this corker of a buck he also got many pictures of. It went down like this.... He started in a tree stand but said he was just not feeling "it" as he described, so he decided to make a push toward his college buddy that was also in camp for a couple days. He was on a cart path when he spotted the buck at 4:15, just on the other side of the hedgerow. He nailed him at 10 yards....
Hedgerow

Rubs on the hedgerow near where the buck was shot.

Latest posts