Rookie Question: Slide Latch

.270 Pump

Reaction score
I just purchased a 7600 in .270 caliber. It's a pawn shop specimen that has issues, mostly cosmetic but I have yet to shoot it. So far just gave it a good cleaning. It will most likely become a project rifle and as this type of rifle is new to me I'm working through some questions. I was glad to find this site and have read many posts and gained information. I do have the following question and could use some guidance. The slide release lever on the bottom of the receiver seems rather small. Is there anyway to upgrade it to a larger size?

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!! It is small and a bit strange....I would imagine that a gunsmith could take the part and replicate it, but with a bigger access, bent or something thicker for more surface area where you'd press it. Stick around and keep us updated! What else do you plan on doing with it??

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I'm sure it could be modified by adding a small custom piece to the face of the existing. Situationally it isn't something that could affect success in a hunting situation as it is only used for unloading. If your gun is in rough shape maybe a good cleaning with gun scrubber will help with its functionality.

Like DLuke said, welcome to the site.

.270 Pump

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Giving it some more thought along with the replies I'll most likely leave it alone. As for other options for this gun I'm thinking refinish the wood and possibly Duracoat the steel. Also thinking about cutting the barrel to carbine length, but not sure if that will happen.