Roadkill Fawn

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Picked this up from the taxidermist yesterday. I had picked it up in July 2018 on the side of the road, it was probably 30-40lbs. I knew I would kick myself if I didn't mount it as this is one of those rare opportunities, so here it is! I am pretty pleased with how it came out!

How I came upon it It was kind of a random luck. Someone on my town FB group posted about a roadkill fawn and why there isn't someone that comes and disposes of them or throws them in the ditch or something to get them out of sight. She told me where it was, so I went and took a look. Being in July with the heat, I didn't have too high of expectations about it not being bloated and rotting, but luckily, it was like 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning and it must have gotten hit the in the night, so it was pretty much perfect with the exception of a little road rash on one side of the face. So I went back home, got a trash bag and such, called the warden and went back to pick it up.

Attachments

JDK

Reaction score
That is pretty neat and not something you see every day.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Great job on the mount !
A guy I knew up in Vermont that I fly fished with found a freshly dead fawn on a small
island on the Ottauquechee river . I dont think it was any more than 3-4 days old.
It might of been 10 lbs. No bigger than an adult cat with long legs.
He mounted it similar to yours laying down curled up like it was sleeping.
He put it as the centerpiece on the mantel of his fireplace. It was beautiful.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Great job on the mount !
A guy I knew up in Vermont that I fly fished with found a freshly dead fawn on a small
island on the Ottauquechee river . I dont think it was any more than 3-4 days old.
It might of been 10 lbs. No bigger than an adult cat with long legs.
He mounted it similar to yours laying down curled up like it was sleeping.
He put it as the centerpiece on the mantel of his fireplace. It was beautiful.
Had it been smaller, I would have opted for a sleeping pose, but since it was older, I figured it would look more natural if it had it's head up looking.