Rigging Up A Jet Sled

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I got a good deal on a new 54 inch camo Jet Sled ( $40 ) and was looking through the Dragging Pictures thread and on youtube vids on rigging pulk sleds just to get some ideas. There really isn't a wrong way to rig it up. It all depends on the way you are going to use it.

I wanted to rig mine up to for getting deer out of the woods, as an ice fishing sled , and a way to get a bulk load of firewood out of the woods for my back yard fire pit instead of cut and carry a few pieces at a time.

I used some of the good ideas and added a couple of my own .

View attachment 21839

This is the list of materials I used

Instead of rope I used two 16 ft 1 inch cam buckle straps rated 550 lb working load and 1500 lb breaking strength
A set of both male and female eye bolt rings size M6
1 inch flat washers with 1/4 inch center
A 2 ft section of 3/4 inch soft rubber heater hose

View attachment 21840

1/2 inch hardened steel rod cut to 23 1/2 inches and 1/2 inch friction fit rubber end caps
A few 1 inch plastic tri-glide slides
Section of 1 inch copper pipe I cut into 6 sleeves 1/2 inch wide
2 pieces of 1/2 inch pipe foam insulation
A role of heavy duty outdoor electrical tape
A python lock

View attachment 21841

Let the fun begin ;)

First I measured up the sled and drilled all the holes

View attachment 21842

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Installed all the eye ring bolts ( top view )

View attachment 21843

Bottom view

View attachment 21844

Slid the 1st strap through the eye bolts going around the sled leaving the cam buckle sticking out a couple inches past the rail.
By going all around the sled, it spreads out the stress of the pull to the back end rather than just the front rail.
While going around on the tag end I put a tri-glide slide in between each set of eye bolts.

View attachment 21845

Hooked up the 2nd strap with rubber hose handle and tied in all the slack through the slides on the side of the sled and the pull strap

View attachment 21846

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Just a pic showing the pull strap with the tag end strap through the slides.
By using 16 ft straps I can adjust the handle section from as small as 3 feet out to 12 feet out if I needed to.
That might be useful if you are pulling the sled with a ATV.

View attachment 21847

In dragging deer out we have all cuts sticks and tied them to the rope or just pulled the rope .
The soft rubber handle is definitely easier on the hands than pulling with just the rope or strap in this case.
To turn the rubber handle into a stick I taped 3 copper sleeves on each side of the handle spreading them out to 4 inches .
This makes the steel bar and sleeves work as a solid handle. Without the sleeves the strap would want to rip the rubber handle when pulling a heavy load

View attachment 21848

Handle with the steel bar in it

View attachment 21849

Now picture yourself pulling out a 300 lber in the sled with a nice comfy handle :smile:

More than likely my 300 lber is only going to be just a pile of firewood :(

View attachment 21850

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Just the rubber handle is fine when dragging alone.
The straight solid handle is a nice option to have especially if there are 2 people dragging.
I made a storage spot for the steel bar so you can have both options.
I cut the steel bar to 23 1/2 inches which is the inside measurement under the back rail on the sled.
Take one cap off the bar and slide it through the ring and put it in place. Slide the pipe foam pieces over the bar on each side and put the rubber cap back on.
It fits nice and snug and doesn't move around at all .

View attachment 21851

I dont want to have to walk all the way out of the woods to get the sled . I hunt an area in Maine thats about 3 square miles.
I am going to leave the sled out there in a strategic spot to save time and distance rather than walking all the way back
The sled comes with 2 worthless holes already drilled through the front for a pull rope.
I put them to good use using them for a python lock that I can cable the sled to a tree and leave it there.
Store the sled upside down so water cant get in the lock to freeze it up.
And just in case I hunt a different area , Im making 2 of these sleds. One for the truck for any of my guys can use and one is going in the woods at my favorite spot.

View attachment 21852

View attachment 21853

And if nothing happens hunting , I will have the cleanest best looking empty sled in northern Maine. LOL

Last edited:

nsheeh

Reaction score
looks great. Definitely want the wear bars on the bottom if your running over bear ground. I use mine for hauling treestands and ladders in and out of the woods they work great

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Great work and thanks for sharing.

I have the same model that i have been using for years, and I hope you don’t mind me sharing a few tips from my experience.

I put my d-rings for attaching straps and bungies on the outside of the upper wall of the sled. This allows me to place something on top of the sled like a sheet of wood for a cover or a portable ice shack, then ratchet strap it down flat. Seals it up real good for fishing and keeping out slush now and water off the auger.

I also bought some composite trim pieces at HD, probably 2”x2”x6ft and made three runners for the bottom curving them with the contour of the sled. Really saves the bottom, as I have burned one through before.

Browseline

Reaction score
Looks like you have everything covered! Very nice. One thing we did after using them a couple times, was to put a rope on the back of the sled, centered and with a T handle made out of a 1.25 inch dowel about a foot long. In a few inches of snow going downhill with a deer in it, the sled would want to take off and either run over you or go by you. It you have another person helping to drag he can hold the T handle and prevent this or if alone, you can guide it from the back.

JDK

Reaction score
Looks great and agree with the comments about some sort of runner. They wear out quickly on bare ground.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Nice set up! I also made a tow bar using some electrical conduit so that I could pull it behind a snowmobile or by hand, and not have it get ahead of itself. Works pretty slick.

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Suped up Jet Sled...looking good. Chrome and everything! Now you just gotta getcha deer! LOL. Came out great!