RI considers felony charges for hunting violations

oneshott

Banned
Reaction score
Rhode Island Bill Makes Deer Hunting without Permission a Felony

Posted on April 23, 2014

A bill being considered in the Rhode Island legislature would make hunting for deer on private land without permission a felony level offense.

The measure, House Bill 7858, would also require jail time (up to two years) for anyone who hunts deer on private land without written permission. In addition, the use of a salt lick to entice deer would be considered a felony level violation.

Sponsored by Representative Scott J. Guthrie (D-Coventry), HB 7858 was heard in the House Judiciary Committee last week. The Department of Environmental Management and the Federated Rhode Island Sportsmen’s Clubs testified against the bill as being unnecessary and excessively punitive.

“While we certainly do not condone trespassing, the penalties included in this bill go well beyond any reasonable expectation,” said Tony Celebrezze, USSA’s director of state services. “Requiring imprisonment for someone who makes an honest mistake is draconian and overly excessive.”

Take Action! Rhode Island Sportsmen should call your representative today and tell them these penalties are overly excessive and unwarranted. Visit USSA’s Legislative Action Center to find your representative’s contact information.
- See more at: http://www.ussportsmen.org/uncatego...out-permission-a-felony/#sthash.Z58joSfX.dpuf

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Sounds like olde England.....jailed for hunting the Kings deer. A felony would mean you could no longer be in possession of a firearm, right? Sounds like bad law to me.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Sounds like P.E.T.A. influenced politician. Trying to make a felony out of trespassing , but only if you're hunting.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
So...I'd lose my right to hunt, own guns, vote and my job for walking in another persons swamp. Makes sense...

Camp Rider

Reaction score
Liberal anti gun - hunting New England legislation.

"Stuff like this floats North".

We have more of the same type of politicians getting elected in New England.

Latest posts