remington demise

Meatseeker

Reaction score
IMHO the new production 870's and 7600's are not well made. The old ones are fine firearms. I have 90' vintage 870 express that is a workhorse that I bought at Kmart for $175. Its still going strong. I also have 1950's vintage 870 Wingmaster that is is very finely made firearm. I don't own a 7600. I've came close to buying them a bunch of times and the fit and finish is sub-par compared to pretty much every other manufacturer for a rifle in the $800 price range. Like others have said maybe for $400 or $500.

WTF.... how do you mismanage a brand as iconic as Remington?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I am simply projecting the sentiment found on firearms forums which is obviously anecdotal evidence to their quality issues. I know plenty who have bough the more recent 7600's and love them so at least they have that still going for them,
I agree. You can always dig up dirt on any brand, old, new etc, etc. I would say that the blueing quality on my old 760's are much better than on the 7600's that's for sure.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I think you're being generous when you say its a $500 rifle. After rebate you could get an 870 for under $300 not all that long ago. The trigger groups use 90% of the same parts. The rear stock on the 20ga is interchangeable with a 7600 The action bars are the same materials on both, I'm sure there's even more.

That said, I have, and do a majority of my rifle hunting with a 7600 and am considering picking up another.
You may be right. My numbers were based more on the "special edition" rifles. That was a pretty easy way for BWB to make $100k though.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
And not all of them have even been delivered yet. The bankruptcy held some up from what I know.
I think they're waiting on 15-20 of them. Seeing on the 760/7600 FB group, one of them, came damaged, and they person can't even get it fixed. Sent it back to Remington, and it sat there for months. He finally just got it back in worse condition than when he sent it, peep busted off, etc. He wanted to just get it back in fear that if it stayed with them, he would never see it again. He's trying to get it repaired privately now.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
760 and 7600 carbines going for 1500-2000 on Gunbroker now.
People buying on GB have more money than brains. Seems like they can be had used from many shops still in the normal price range. Those who aren't trying to gouge people.

JDK

Reaction score
I think they're waiting on 15-20 of them. Seeing on the 760/7600 FB group, one of them, came damaged, and they person can't even get it fixed. Sent it back to Remington, and it sat there for months. He finally just got it back in worse condition than when he sent it, peep busted off, etc. He wanted to just get it back in fear that if it stayed with them, he would never see it again. He's trying to get it repaired privately now.

What do you expect for $1,500??

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
People buying on GB have more money than brains. Seems like they can be had used from many shops still in the normal price range. Those who aren't trying to gouge people.
Won’t be long till the gun shops catch up. Be interesting to see what the prices do, if Remington doesn’t produce them anymore.

270 bdl

Reaction score
A friend of mine just bought a 760 in 243 for his son. $500

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I agree. You can always dig up dirt on any brand, old, new etc, etc. I would say that the blueing quality on my old 760's are much better than on the 7600's that's for sure.

I am a huge fan of Marlin Rifles. I purchased a Guide Gun back in 2014 that was made by Remington. It was of decent quality (not as nice as my 1951 336). I was honestly expecting far worse based on my internet reading.

Fast forward to 2019. I saved up my pennies to purchase an 1895 Trapper. I stopped at three different gun shops, and every single one of the Marlin rifles I handled had crooked sights. I ended up purchasing a BLR instead.

My friend bought and 1895 Dark Series. One of the bolts that holds the receiver together was drilled and tapped crooked. So the head of the bolt sticks out beyond the face of the receiver. His gun was also a jamming machine. He had to bring it to a gunsmith to get it to function properly.

The consumers lose when corporate bean counters get involved. Hopefully the folks that purchased the pieces and parts from Freedom Group can right the ship.

Reactions: JDK

medrhunter

Reaction score

JMO but I think the Remington pump will be no more. If the new company does decide to continue with them I hope they make some improvements. I know it’s all about the numbers but I don’t know why another manufacturer doesn’t make a quality pump rifle, possibly Browning etc
Browning used to make a pump rifle. It was labeled the "BPR" Browning Pump Rifle.
I looked at one many years ago and I found the pump action to be very strange and slow.
Glad I kept my 7600.

270 bdl

Reaction score
Browning used to make a pump rifle. It was labeled the "BPR" Browning Pump Rifle.
I looked at one many years ago and I found the pump action to be very strange and slow.
Glad I kept my 7600.
I handled one. I didn't care for it. Kind of clubby

270 bdl

Reaction score
I got an email from Grice gun shop. Magazines out of stock. No idea when they will ever get them.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
I got an email from Grice gun shop. Magazines out of stock. No idea when they will ever get them.

That could have a lot to do with the ongoing logistics issues that almost all manufactures are experiencing. Ive yalked to a few small sporting goods shops in my area and they are still struggling to keep inventory from fishing equipment to ammunition and gun supplies. Its getting better but slowly.

Latest posts