remington demise

270 bdl

Reaction score
I wonder if whoever it will be that makes remington firearms, will make the 7600 again? It just seems every rifle today id either a bolt action or something tactical. Everyone that sees my 7600 carbine in 308 wants one. I'm anxious to see what happens.

JDK

Reaction score
Sure hate to see any gun company go away but I hope if they come back with the 7600 they are a lot better than the recent junk that is out there. Savage axis quality are premium prices is not good business management

270 bdl

Reaction score
Sure hate to see any gun company go away but I hope if they come back with the 7600 they are a lot better than the recent junk that is out there. Savage axis quality are premium prices is not good business management
I guess the last one I handled was the one I own. $775 last time I checked prices at Grice.

JDK

Reaction score
I own a relatively recent manufactured carbine. I like how it carries and tend to use it a bit. That said:

Fairly accurate but fussy with what.

May or may not feed. Hard to get the magazine it sit right and you have to be careful to make sure it seats. Been back to Remington and still iffy at best.

Junk magazine

O ring issues

Huntermc6

Reaction score
How many times have the filed for bankruptcy in the last 10 to 15 years? I dont see them ever going under but they will never be the brand they once were. Too many other reputable gun manufactures out there making affordable rifles. Admitedly none of them make a pump rifles as far as I know.

Reactions: JDK

270 bdl

Reaction score
I wonder if federal, who now owns remington ammo will make the core lokt bullet. If they do, I hope they offer the bullets as a reloading component. Core lokt round nose bullets kick butt.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I believe Remington was bought out of bankruptcy by Vista Outdoors (public company). But I can not understand what "remington" is to them. Is it the bullets, the brand, the gun manufacturer? I think they may all be separated now.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
From other gun forums Remington has been cut up and packaged out like a deer. Ruger acquired Remington's Marlin firearms. Sierra Bullets bought part of them. Vista bought up the Lonoke Arkansas ammo plant. Franklin Armory bought up the Bushmaster part. Seven companies more or less bought it all up. Remington is no more.

silver belly62

Reaction score

JMO but I think the Remington pump will be no more. If the new company does decide to continue with them I hope they make some improvements. I know it’s all about the numbers but I don’t know why another manufacturer doesn’t make a quality pump rifle, possibly Browning etc

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know how everything will work out, but I'm assuming they bought everything to continue production. If the pumps were selling well they will continue with them. Some things will change I'm sure.

JDK

Reaction score
There are a number of Remingtons in my house. It is my sincere hope that the name and the quality return. I have zero hope for either and want to be proven wrong.

Ruger, TC, Savage, and Mosseberg all cranked out affordable and relatively reliable firearms while Remington increased in price and decreased in quality. Other companies produced high quality firearms for the same price. Whomever the recent management/parent company of Remington was, they should be ashamed.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
There are a number of Remingtons in my house. It is my sincere hope that the name and the quality return. I have zero hope for either and want to be proven wrong.

Ruger, TC, Savage, and Mosseberg all cranked out affordable and relatively reliable firearms while Remington increased in price and decreased in quality. Other companies produced high quality firearms for the same price. Whomever the recent management/parent company of Remington was, they should be ashamed.

Equity firm that knew nothing of firearms. They pretty much sucked the money tit dry.

Huntermc6

Reaction score
From other gun forums Remington has been cut up and packaged out like a deer. Ruger acquired Remington's Marlin firearms. Sierra Bullets bought part of them. Vista bought up the Lonoke Arkansas ammo plant. Franklin Armory bought up the Bushmaster part. Seven companies more or less bought it all up. Remington is no more.

Do you have more info on this or a link that shows how the company was divided? I'm curious mainly because I like Remington Ammo but their guns in the last 10+ years have gone so downhill just makes me wonder why the quality control on one part of the brand is good and the other is crap. It's also weird that multiple companies can advertise using the same branding but own different parts of the original company manufacturing completely different things.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm curious mainly because I like Remington Ammo but their guns in the last 10+ years have gone so downhill
How have they gone downhill? I bought 3 7600's and 1 Model 6 in the past few years and they are fine. They have composite stocks, so I can't speak of fit and finish of the wood, but the one 7600 that I fired and model 6 function fine. I also ordered wood stocks for the rifles from Remington and the service was outstanding as well as the wood stocks I received. r1.jpg

Huntermc6

Reaction score
How have they gone downhill? I bought 3 7600's and 1 Model 6 in the past few years and they are fine. They have composite stocks, so I can't speak of fit and finish of the wood, but the one 7600 that I fired and model 6 function fine. I also ordered wood stocks for the rifles from Remington and the service was outstanding as well as the wood stocks I received.

I think it was fairly well known that when Remington first sold to Cerberus which was rebranded to Freedom that they took some time to catch up in their modern manufacturing techniques. The Model 700 had lots of issues that seemed fairly well documents in online forums and even some investigative journalism. When Marlin was bought by them they also appeared to take a hit in quality control based on forum clamoring as well, These issues all seemed directly tied to production style and training of staff on newer production methods/updating machining. Maybe they are better now that their production is more up to date and their training is better I don't know for sure because of how bad of a rep they had since the sale in '07 I have not even considered buying a gun from them.

For the record I am not heavily into buying and selling firearms so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I am simply projecting the sentiment found on firearms forums which is obviously anecdotal evidence to their quality issues. I know plenty who have bough the more recent 7600's and love them so at least they have that still going for them,

BTW there is a Wikipedia section that outlines how Remington is being parted out if you search for Remington Arms Company. This is the list from the bottom of the page:

JDK

Reaction score
Non-gun people running a gun company and sucking it dry......the liberal leftists wet dream.

I have an 870, M11, and a 581 that I really like. I've owned a number of 700 that were nice and I wish I had kept. Also owned an 1100 that was very good. All were older manufactured firearms. Unfortunately recently:

Their quality control sucked.
Their inexpensive rifles were junk compared to the other inexpensive rifles out there
They rode on the coat-tails of the 870 and the 700
Their marketing geniuses were dumber than a rock and they never supported what they introduced.

They seemed like a team that should have won but always found a way to lose.

It will be interesting to see what Ruger produces under the Marlin name.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
My opinion still stands that the 7600 is a $500 rifle (MSRP). The lower production numbers probably hurt the cost to make one. MSRP on them is severely inflated for what you're getting. Remington makes them for $300, sells to dealer for probably $500 who retails them for the $800-$900 MSRP (before all these crazy prices). Take for example the BWB 35 Whelen sold for $1500. I don't think I need to break down the profit margins for everyone involved on that piece given the numbers I just gave. Then people are turning around and reselling them on GB for double that. With the increase in popularity in "big woods", and tracking, etc. I think this is just a fad. Everyone thinks they need a Remington pump to still hunt/track deer. That's part of the reason why I will never understand those who are buying these as an investment, or even a "collector" piece. Yes, they are cool, yes, they are limited edition, however, once the craze dies down, and if/when remington ever gets back in business, the market for these is very very small. Outside of NE, no one knows who BWB is. If you buy one of these thinking that in years down the road, you'll be able to sell it for a ton of money, sure, to the right person, but you may hang onto it for a long time before that person comes along. Look at all the Benoit rifles that have gone unbought on GB over the years. Things are just now selling because of the craze and people thinking they will never make them again. If/when remington gets back in business, prices will drop back to where they should be, and not a soul will be buying these special editions at the prices they are now on GB and the like. Sure, folks will buy directly from BWB at $1500, or God knows what they'll sell them for next time, but the resale market won't be there unless you get very lucky. It has to be for the "cool" factor, not for the investment IMO.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
My opinion still stands that the 7600 is a $500 rifle (MSRP). The lower production numbers probably hurt the cost to make one. MSRP on them is severely inflated for what you're getting. Remington makes them for $300, sells to dealer for probably $500 who retails them for the $800-$900 MSRP (before all these crazy prices). Take for example the BWB 35 Whelen sold for $1500. I don't think I need to break down the profit margins for everyone involved on that piece given the numbers I just gave. Then people are turning around and reselling them on GB for double that. With the increase in popularity in "big woods", and tracking, etc. I think this is just a fad. Everyone thinks they need a Remington pump to still hunt/track deer. That's part of the reason why I will never understand those who are buying these as an investment, or even a "collector" piece. Yes, they are cool, yes, they are limited edition, however, once the craze dies down, and if/when remington ever gets back in business, the market for these is very very small. Outside of NE, no one knows who BWB is. If you buy one of these thinking that in years down the road, you'll be able to sell it for a ton of money, sure, to the right person, but you may hang onto it for a long time before that person comes along. Look at all the Benoit rifles that have gone unbought on GB over the years. Things are just now selling because of the craze and people thinking they will never make them again. If/when remington gets back in business, prices will drop back to where they should be, and not a soul will be buying these special editions at the prices they are now on GB and the like. Sure, folks will buy directly from BWB at $1500, or God knows what they'll sell them for next time, but the resale market won't be there unless you get very lucky. It has to be for the "cool" factor, not for the investment IMO.

I think you're being generous when you say its a $500 rifle. After rebate you could get an 870 for under $300 not all that long ago. The trigger groups use 90% of the same parts. The rear stock on the 20ga is interchangeable with a 7600 The action bars are the same materials on both, I'm sure there's even more.

That said, I have, and do a majority of my rifle hunting with a 7600 and am considering picking up another.

Latest posts