Remington 700 Mountain Rifle stock refinish

Escout711

Reaction score
This winter DLuke convinced me to let him refinish the stock my Remington 700 mountain rifle .280. It has a really pretty piece of lumber for the stock, and Dan knew that he could really bring out the tiger striping with a nice classic Tru-Oil finish. It came out fantastic, and I can?t wait to tote it in the woods this fall. Thanks Dan! Here are some before pictures, and Dan can add in pictures of the refinishing process.

A5EA6961-D91F-4A93-9FE5-FC1C71EF8E48.jpg

6572BA52-9EEF-4065-8895-49F7D100E92A.jpg

Last edited:

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
I'll put a bunch of pics up with my phone, thengo back and edit to write how it went....

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
I'll do it from home tonight w my Wifi....no service here and can't get it rolling....

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
I got the stock from Brian and couldn't wait to get going in it. That fiddleback striping I knew would be a knockout....

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
This first one is before I did anything. I used one coat of Jalco(??) stripper which did OK but really loosened things up nicely. The plastic scraper did an OK job, but what really got the job done the best was using the edge of a knife at just the right reverse angle to flake the finish off. It still took a while. After that I sanded it down from 100 grit to 220 grit and finished up with 400 grit to get it clean and glassy smooth. Washed in hot soapy water and hit the checkering with a toothbrush to get any stripper or sanding dust out of there.... the last picture here is just the stock wet from washing it, but it shows the potential
3DB70E05-578B-4F29-B531-5060D87E72E7.jpg39FDE80E-304D-4D9E-9584-A81D1C5C913A.jpgBB182EFD-D4AC-4363-BC71-E6AABE6A208E.jpgC761E4CD-1BE6-4EE5-8555-22F526F47A5D.jpg

Last edited:

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
So once its sanded down to 400 grit and you think you have everything glassy smooth, I take a mix of 50/50 Tru-oil and mineral spirits for the first coat. I go over the stock one last time with 400 but leave all the sanding dust in the pores of the wood. This will act as a filler and make it more glossy. The mineral spirits thins the oil down and lets it really soak into the wood instead of laying on top like icing on a cake. I cover every inch, under the butt pad, down inside the barrel channel and and action and into the checkering. The checkering only gets this 50/50 coat at the beginning, and then again at the very end it gets another 50/50 coat to just even up the color where I hit the checkering by accident during the successive coats. After this coat dries for a half a day, go back over it all with 400 grit then clean everything with a tack cloth. Second coat is full Tru-oil and dries for half a day as well. Afterward sand again to 400. Same with the next coat...sand to 400. What this does is knocks down imperfections. Any little unseen waves, or any drips, or any bits of whatever that got in the finish gets flattened and removed. You want every coat to be flat. As you apply further coats, you switch over to using 0000 grade steel wool between coats. Just barely ghost the steel wool over the wood with no hand pressure. You'll see the gloss of the finish fade with each pass of the steel wool. In the pictures above, you'll see some are really glossy and others are dull, that's the before and after of this buffing down of each coat. I shoot for around 10 coats of Tru-oil....it goes on in about 2 minutes, so its really more of a waiting game than it is work. I got to number 9 on this gun and felt that that specific coat went on real nice and buffed out real nice to right where I wanted it, so I didn't go any further than that.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Damn....tough to beat that! More fun than trouble.....

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Came out awesome Dan!! Brian you better be careful with your rifle out in your front yard..... Your neighbors might think you spun a nutty.

Reaction score
You guys are killing me with these refinishing threads ! lol Have a couple older rifles I need to do that on this summer. Great job on that stock