Rehoboth

Escout711

Reaction score
I drove through Rehoboth yesterday and thought it looked like some pretty good whitetail habitat. Anyone know how the hunting is in that neck of the woods?

jhbozington

Reaction score
I hunt Rehoboth. There are defiantly pockets that hold some nice bucks. Permission to hunt posted land is becoming a problem though. The town is headed in the direction of a money town and it's getting harder and harder to get a good spot that someone else isn't already on.

bowhunterJB

Reaction score
I grew up in rehoboth and have hunted there my entire life. Last year was probably the last year I will ever hunt there! Even on non posted land it has become more of a pain in the ass then it's worth. I had the cops called on me 4 times last year in 3 different non-posted spots!! and even though i wasn't doing anything illegal it's just not worth the agravation! I also ran into someone who was not wearing any orange during the shot gun season DRUNK carying a 44 mag! He claimed I was on his property when i knew i wasn't, but i wasn't really looking to argue! Like I said never again!

RustyD

Reaction score
I also ran into someone who was not wearing any orange during the shot gun season DRUNK carying a 44 mag! He claimed I was on his property when i knew i wasn't, but i wasn't really looking to argue! Like I said never again!

:eek:

JumpShooter

Reaction score
I drove through Rehoboth yesterday and thought it looked like some pretty good whitetail habitat. Anyone know how the hunting is in that neck of the woods?
Haven't been to Rehoboth since I was a kid. My uncle owned a bar there called the Ledge Cafe. He was an avid hunter back then and had taken several nice deer down there. I remember seeing quite a few deer on his farm.
However, my cousin told me that there are very few places left to hunt any where down there because of over development. He said that Taunton is even worse and the neighboring towns are getting just as bad. That is very sad. I remember that to be a very nice area.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
That area is a bit of a bedroom community for people working in Providence, RI. It is getting built up quickly with big houses that just don't fit the rural setting at all.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
That situation is happening elsewhere. As a youth southern Worcester County had a number of places to hunt. Now a great deal of land is either posted or developed.

Escout711

Reaction score
That area is a bit of a bedroom community for people working in Providence, RI. It is getting built up quickly with big houses that just don't fit the rural setting at all.
I am looking for a place to live, and my office will be in East Providence. Does anyone have any thoughts on living in Rehoboth versus Northern Rhode Island? Are there any benefits either way? Any info would be helpful!

matt

Reaction score
although its already been said i'll say it again Rehoboth = more hunters than deer!
There are some nice bucks to the East of Providence but every single piece of land that's big enough to hunt will have treestands in every other tree. On the other hand Northern RI will have a lot more room in terms of woods and less hunters but I don't think i've ever seen many big bucks come out of Northern RI. A friend of mine has hunted on state land in Northern RI for many years and has never killed a big buck there. During this time he has killed a nice buck in Ma. almost every year. Maybe the state land sucks? I'm not sure.

bowhunterJB

Reaction score
I am looking for a place to live, and my office will be in East Providence. Does anyone have any thoughts on living in Rehoboth versus Northern Rhode Island? Are there any benefits either way? Any info would be helpful!

Rehoboth is a political disaster right now! The school system has been in steady decline, and tree hugging yuppies are taking over! Not to mention paying taxes in both states if your business is based in RI. All that said, I'd rather live in rehoboth than EP! Good luck.

ps. if you do decide on rehoboth and need a house built, give me a shout!

Escout711

Reaction score
Rehoboth is a political disaster right now! The school system has been in steady decline, and tree hugging yuppies are taking over! Not to mention paying taxes in both states if your business is based in RI. All that said, I'd rather live in rehoboth than EP! Good luck.

ps. if you do decide on rehoboth and need a house built, give me a shout!
Yikes! We are going to look for a place to rent tomorrow. We'll probably rent for a year while we figure out what/where we like and want to buy. I believe that the states have reciprocity on taxes, so that shouldn't be a huge issue...

JumpShooter

Reaction score
That's what my cousin said and not just Rehoboth but the surrounding towns as well. He says they are building houses everywhere and big houses. Also said that there are very few places left to hunt in S.E. Mass.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Keep this in mind. You can go to the RI fish and game website to see the deer kill records. In the town of Burrillville nearly 200 deer were shot but almost all of them were on private land. It is hard to get that needed written permission. I have been working and semi-living in Northern RI and I have not had any doors creak open for me yet. I want to say that for the 2009 season 13 deer were shot on Buck Hill WMA and all with the muzzleloader. None with the bow and none with the shotgun. So what does that tell you?

Also the state land is hit hard by hunters all over the state. Again without written permission you have no choice but to go to state land. I hunted RI about three years ago and in plain English it sucks. In addition it seems that some RI hunters adopt a NIMBY attitude with "their" state WMA. I am not the only one who has experienced that. In one instance I did not feel comfortable not having my thumb on the safety when I met one character. That situation pretty much soured me on the Ocean State for hunting.

NH is a shall issue state as well. in RI it is a discretionary issue state with concealed carry permits. In RI you have to have a reason for issuance such as a business,etc. A number of towns in Massachusetts have loosened their restrictions thus more class A LTC's are being issued. This may or may not be of importance to you.

Escout711

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the tips guys, I appreciate them! We are headed down tomorrow, and we're going to look at a few places. We like being in a more rural setting, and not really looking to be in the congested areas of Providence or Pawtucket.

Escout711

Reaction score
Well, we drove around Rehoboth yesterday, and it had some nice farm land, definitely looks like good hunting, if you can get it. Also drove through Taunton, and some towns in Rhode Island. All I can say is that you don't realize how beautiful NH really is until you try to move to the Providence area :(

bowhunterJB

Reaction score
Well, we drove around Rehoboth yesterday, and it had some nice farm land, definitely looks like good hunting, if you can get it. Also drove through Taunton, and some towns in Rhode Island. All I can say is that you don't realize how beautiful NH really is until you try to move to the Providence area :(

Almost anywhere is beautiful compared to the providence area!

Escout711

Reaction score
Well, it's official, we'll be living in Rehoboth starting June 1! The place we're renting has enough land for me to set a stand up for those before work hunts. If anyone wants to get together for a beer, let me know!