red dot on my BLR

cdc

Reaction score
Guys ..I swear I have aske3d your opinions on this before but for the life of me I can't find anything in the search field

Right now I have a leopold 1x4 variable on my BLR 308 ..my brother talked me into it a few years back ( i had a red dot before on my old BLR)

I have done quite a bit of research over several months, and I think I have settled on one ..the aimpoint 9000sc 2 MOA red dot

the question now ..do i put it on my BLR ..or on my 870 20 GA slug gun ..decisions decisions ??

opinions/experiences welcome

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn’t put it on either, I like a 2 x 7 or 3 x 9. Why do you want a red dot? I’m usually on 6x when on stand and rarely go below that. 4x when I’m moving

Last edited:

cdc

Reaction score
I hunt thick woods ..rarely shoot more that 50-70 yards( in fact never !) and I have trouble re acclimating for a 2nd shot when needed ..I remember when I had the red dot before like 15+ years ago I killed a few deer where the 2nd shot was a must and the red dot just naturally happened. ..3 years ago I missed a good buck because I could not "re-find" in the scope fast enough ..with a red dot both eyes open wide field of view just follow your target ..I am not very good at this part of scope hunting, a term that a lot of guys use " when he stepped into the scope I touched one off " had a nice doe two years ago buzz by me fast at 30 yards ..picked window ahead but with no peripheral it went by in the blur ..no shot taken .. I know its just me.. but that's just the way it is, the red dot just comes natural to me I guess ,while the scope even on low mag does not 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

groundtender

Reaction score
Put a 4x40 or 3-9x40 scope on your .22 and go partridge hunting in north woods (without dog). Or rabbit hunting. That’s the best training I had for using a scope in the woods. Try shooting them at base of neck when they are on the ground. No wing shooting. Hollow points only. Fun, productive, and excellent practice for deer.

BDB

Reaction score
I think both have merits depending on your hunting style and location. I do agree that a red dot is great for target acquisition especially on follow ups. I still use 1-4, 2-7 or 3-9 standard scopes on hunting rifles depending on the gun but that may just be the old school in me. I have been planning to put a red dot on a hunting rifle one of the days. Likely the first will be a Marlin 336 lever as my eye's just aren't what they used to be and open sights are getting harder and harder for me so most of my rifles have some sort of optic on them now. My tactical toys (AR's and Tavorx95) all have red dots and I shoot them a lot out to 80+ yards with no issues.

Bottom line if you know you are shooting shorter ranges and are comfortable with the red dot, I say go for it. It's not like you can't go back right :)

cdc

Reaction score
very true ..and I think what I will do is go with a vortex strikefire II 199 bucks also great reviews !! and a cantelever barrel for the 870 20 GA and call it good ,and have the BLR ready for any longer distant sits or tree stand hunts

medrhunter

Reaction score
I have an Leupold Illuminated 1X6 on my BLR
Best of both worlds.
Walk around on 1X all the time. Jump up the power if needed.

cdc

Reaction score
On these illuminated dot/reticle scopes are you walking around all day with it on, or just turn it on at certain times?
oh yea ! ..the one I am interested in(Aimpoint 9000sc) is 50,000 hours of battery life ..the question now is I need to think real long and hard about dropping 500 bucks on an optics. part of the decision i am torn with is this, option 1 put the Aimpoint on the BLR and call it good or option 2. buy a cantilever barrel for my 20 GA 870 and then drop a Sig Sauer Romeo 5( another red dot with great reviews) on that and have the best of both worlds ..problem is the browning would likely spend a lot of time in the gun case ,and either option I'm dropping 500 bucks so .. I got time to think it over ..decisions decisions :unsure:

medrhunter

Reaction score
oh yea ! ..the one I am interested in(Aimpoint 9000sc) is 50,000 hours of battery life ..the question now is I need to think real long and hard about dropping 500 bucks on an optics. part of the decision i am torn with is this, option 1 put the Aimpoint on the BLR and call it good or option 2. buy a cantilever barrel for my 20 GA 870 and then drop a Sig Sauer Romeo 5( another red dot with great reviews) on that and have the best of both worlds ..problem is the browning would likely spend a lot of time in the gun case ,and either option I'm dropping 500 bucks so .. I got time to think it over ..decisions decisions :unsure:
Double check that AimPoint. I have an older model on my AR. Its only a RedDot, no cross hairs. If battery dies you're outta luck. Wouldn't use that for a hunting application

cdc

Reaction score
Double check that AimPoint. I have an older model on my AR. Its only a RedDot, no cross hairs. If battery dies you're outta luck. Wouldn't use that for a hunting application
50,000 hours or not ( like 5 years ??) i would changed the battery before the beginning of each season

Bucksaw

Reaction score
50,000 hours or not ( like 5 years ??) i would changed the battery before the beginning of each season
Battery life on AimPoints are amazing. They have a feature that will shut the battery off when stationary as well. Might want to take a look at HoloSun optics, much cheaper than AimPoint, quality is great, and comparable battery life. Can get 2 of them for the price of 1 AimPoint.

NH-Archer

Reaction score
I have a Nikon Tactical spur on my 30-06 BAR. Similar to a bushnell holo sight, but smaller. Sighted in for 100 yards.

Latest posts