Recommended First Muzzleloader

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the Optima V2 is the closest they offer (without one of those dumb telescoping stocks). It has a 1inch longer barrel. I think it weighs a little over 6.5lbs which isn't terrible. I carried a Marlin Glenfield .30-30 with a scope all rifle season and that thing has to be >8lbs. It wasn't that bad, so maybe the weight thing isn't that big of an issue. I just need to man up!
Probably be up to 8 with mounts and scope.

Flatlander

Reaction score
I gave up on t/c after s&w took over. I sent my omega in for a repair. When it came back you could cock it but the trigger didn't work. Sent it back and sold it when it when I got it back.

JDK

Reaction score
As much as I like my Omega, which has been flawless, the Optima is a better constructed rifle in just about every way. It is sad as I have a Hawken and a Renegade that have been wonderful also

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I have a TC Triumph, CVA Wolf, and a Woodman.

My opinion, if you are going to be hunting in a lot of inclement whether, pony up for a nice Muzzleloader.

Otherwise, a CVA Wolf is cheap, accurate, and feels good in your hands.

tagsoup86

Reaction score
I have a TC Triumph, CVA Wolf, and a Woodman.

My opinion, if you are going to be hunting in a lot of inclement whether, pony up for a nice Muzzleloader.

Otherwise, a CVA Wolf is cheap, accurate, and feels good in your hands.
Thanks. What is a "nice" muzzleloader in your opinion?
Of those three, which one do you like best?

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks. What is a "nice" muzzleloader in your opinion?
Of those three, which one do you like best?
I like the Woodman the best, but it was also almost $1,000. The Triumph and the Wolf are $300 guns.

Most years I spend a week or more hunting in snow with a Muzzleloader. I had misfire issues with the cheaper Muzzleloader's in Iclement weather. If I was a fair weather hunter, I'd chose the Wolf.

medrhunter

Reaction score
I looked at them all and decided on the CVA Accura Mountain Rifle. Light, and accurate with Blackhorn powder and Barnes Sabots. Screw the breech plug out with your fingers for cleaning which is a breeze.
+! Same here. Love it but can't find Blackhorn anywhere

medrhunter

Reaction score
It shows up at the big online places semi regularly but the price is up, the container size is down and you have to pay HazMat.
I see that as well. I'm not willing to pay $80 for 8oz of powder. I have tons of Pyradex / Triple 7. It will have to do. I only hunt MZ 3 or 4 days a year. Doesn't shoot bad.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I've had the Impact for years now. Good solid rifle for the money.
My son has had the Wolf the same amount of time. I shot a buck with the Wolf 100% because I was able to remove the breech in the woods, in the rain.
However, we're having a serious issue with the wolf now. It likes to go off when you close the breech. Yeah, thats a big problem.

I've had some experience with the Woodman, but man, I struggle to carry a $1000 rifle around the woods. Makes my butt pucker every time I think about sliding down into some ledgy hellhole with that in my hand. However, they really are sweet rifles, and I love that they're made locally.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I've had the Impact for years now. Good solid rifle for the money.
My son has had the Wolf the same amount of time. I shot a buck with the Wolf 100% because I was able to remove the breech in the woods, in the rain.
However, we're having a serious issue with the wolf now. It likes to go off when you close the breech. Yeah, thats a big problem.

I've had some experience with the Woodman, but man, I struggle to carry a $1000 rifle around the woods. Makes my butt pucker every time I think about sliding down into some ledgy hellhole with that in my hand. However, they really are sweet rifles, and I love that they're made locally.
I’d try a different brand of 209 primers in the Wolf and then I’d try a new breech plug.

Latest posts