Recommended First Muzzleloader

mowbizz

Reaction score
If your looking for a lightweight one check out the Traditions Pursuit. I have one and it is super light. I have been real impressed with the Barnes T-EZ bullets as well.
I’ll 2nd the Traditions Pursuit…tack driver with the Barnes and Blackhorn…

tagsoup86

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it. I'm considering the Traditions pursuit at this point but I'm terrible at making decisions so it will probably be awhile before I decide. I might look around at local gun shops to see if I can hold one (and some of the other recommended MLs) before buying.

BDB

Reaction score
I picked a CVA Optima many years ago and have not looked at anything else since but I do really like it. I can also recommend the Blackhorn powder with Barnes bullets and sabots conbination. I put a Leopold 2-7 on it and it's a tack driver.

JDK

Reaction score
Muzzle-loader.com had CVA Optima V2s for the same price as the Wolf as of earlier this week. I have a TC Omega and an Optima. The Optima is lighter.

JDK

Reaction score
I should mention that the Wolf is shorter (2 inches I think) and lighter than the Optima.

BDB

Reaction score
I would call "tacks" a relative term with a ML. At 50 yards the holes typically touch and last time I tried 100 yards with it the groups were about 2.5 inches and I was happy with that for what it is.

BDB

Reaction score
I wanna see someone actually drive a tack with one of these tack drivers.
I checked my book out of curiosity. This was a while ago but a 3 shot group with 250gr TEZ Barnes bullets, 105 grains of Blackhorn 209 and the black crushed rib sabots (I think that is what they were called, it was a long time ago ;-). I am happy enough with this at 50 yards for a .50 cal ML. I suspect time spent on various loads could result in better but it was good enough for me.

Attachments

• ML-target.jpg
    ML-target.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 7

Flatlander

Reaction score
I have a Traditionds Pursuit 2 XLT and a Pursuit. The XLT has a 28" barrel and is muzzle heavy. The Pursuit has a 26" barrel and seems much lighter - better balanced. The XLT shoots clover leafs at 50 yards with Barnes 250 gr. Spitfires. The Pursuit doesn't group worth a damn with any sabot / powder combo I've tried. Due to the limited availability of powder I'm using Pyrodex RS. Traditions headquarters is in Old Saybrook , Ct. about 40 minutes south of Hartford. They have factory seconds at very good prices in the show room.

lester2

Reaction score
One of my hunting buddies has a TC Impact. He’s killed many deer with it, it shoots great with Blackhorn and shockwaves. Very reasonably priced and a good solid gun.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
One of my hunting buddies has a TC Impact. He’s killed many deer with it, it shoots great with Blackhorn and shockwaves. Very reasonably priced and a good solid gun.
Is anything from T/C even being produced anymore?

mainer4570

Reaction score
Is anything from T/C even being produced anymore?
Not sure, but sure wish I still had that TC Renegade round baller. I had it perfectly seasoned, worked every time, and as easy to clean as a cast iron frying pan. Lots of fun to shoot, patched balls and 70 or 80 grains of loose Goex.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I don’t think they’re making anything, I believe S&W stopped production and was trying to sell it off.
The muzzleloader heyday is long over and what’s left are low priced imports and a couple small higher end American companies.

JDK

Reaction score
They aren’t making anything

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Found a pic of my CVA MR. Although I normally like wood stocks, those black rubber grips on the gun are actually warm when you hold them. Almost like they are heated!
IMG_3104.jpg

tagsoup86

Reaction score
Found a pic of my CVA MR. Although I normally like wood stocks, those black rubber grips on the gun are actually warm when you hold them. Almost like they are heated!
View attachment 26965
I think the Optima V2 is the closest they offer (without one of those dumb telescoping stocks). It has a 1inch longer barrel. I think it weighs a little over 6.5lbs which isn't terrible. I carried a Marlin Glenfield .30-30 with a scope all rifle season and that thing has to be >8lbs. It wasn't that bad, so maybe the weight thing isn't that big of an issue. I just need to man up!

Latest posts