R.i.p ben(buckshot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Rest in peace Buckshot...condolences to all involved...:(

Quaid?

Reaction score
I just logged on after a week away and read this all the way through. I have already sent many prayers that way, and more to come. I, and probably everyone else, are taking out of this, how privileged we are every day to just be here. I of course try to be as safe as humanly possible in the woods, but I am taking out of this tragedy a calling to be even more vigilant with safety. I think everyone involved here will. That split second of extra caution may very well save a life, and we can take that as a positive thing to come out of this horrible event. Maybe we wont know, but Ben will.
Yesterday, I missed a deer with my bow. I have been obviously a little upset and pissed off. After hearing this story, I instantly dont care about the miss, and feel incredibly dumb. Perspective changes instantly, and extreme gratitude for everything in my life comes charging at me. Aside from the unthinkable pain and tragedy, that nothing will ever make up for, Ben is personally responsible for every one of us seeing life in a better perspective, noticing our blessings more profoundly, and is helping to keep all of us a little safer every day in the woods. RIP BuckShot, and thanks

Paul/NH

Reaction score
Yesterday, I missed a deer with my bow. I have been obviously a little upset and pissed off. After hearing this story, I instantly dont care about the miss, and feel incredibly dumb. Perspective changes instantly, and extreme gratitude for everything in my life comes charging at me.
Nothing to add... just wanted it repeated. Very wise words!!

Escout711

Reaction score
Yesterday, I missed a deer with my bow. I have been obviously a little upset and pissed off. After hearing this story, I instantly dont care about the miss, and feel incredibly dumb. Perspective changes instantly, and extreme gratitude for everything in my life comes charging at me.
+2, well said Quaid!

D

deerfever

X2

I stared death on two different occasions. The first when I was 14 and I was try to save another person from drowning - the person put the death grip on me and it got ugly. The second time was when I was 18 and it was a horrendous drowning scenario. I actually gave up on life, I couldn't fight it anymore. I was literally sinking and breathing water when something special happened. In addition, 3 years ago my wife came close to death on an operating table. Due to these situations, I have an incredible respect for life, all life - I'm the type that swooshes mosquitos away, no joke.

Because of Buckshot's tragic accident, I have found myself drifting off and thinking about what I can do to be an even safer hunter. The morning of Buckshot's accident I drove to my hunting spot, got my stuff out of the bag, got dressed, went to put on my hunting vest and the vest was not there - I only had my orange hat. I immediately undressed, put my stuff back in the bag and drove home to get my vest. I will continue to be vigilant, and then some, to make safety my number one hunting priority.

Because of Buckshot, every time I'm gearing up, getting ready and going thru my safety check list I will be thinking about how tragedy sometimes can have a positive outcome.

Life doesn't end, it just evolves. In Buckshot's case, he's likely looking over and looking out for his family. And, when he has the time, he is likely tired of those 10 and 12 pointers because they are always getting in the way of the 16 and 18 pointers!

N

NH Hunter

I just logged on after a week away and read this all the way through. I have already sent many prayers that way, and more to come. I, and probably everyone else, are taking out of this, how privileged we are every day to just be here. I of course try to be as safe as humanly possible in the woods, but I am taking out of this tragedy a calling to be even more vigilant with safety. I think everyone involved here will. That split second of extra caution may very well save a life, and we can take that as a positive thing to come out of this horrible event. Maybe we wont know, but Ben will.
Yesterday, I missed a deer with my bow. I have been obviously a little upset and pissed off. After hearing this story, I instantly dont care about the miss, and feel incredibly dumb. Perspective changes instantly, and extreme gratitude for everything in my life comes charging at me. Aside from the unthinkable pain and tragedy, that nothing will ever make up for, Ben is personally responsible for every one of us seeing life in a better perspective, noticing our blessings more profoundly, and is helping to keep all of us a little safer every day in the woods. RIP BuckShot, and thanks[/QUOTE

great post quaid. I'm not one who usually hits the woods and posts,but i can't get this off my mindas i'm sitting on this stump watching the sun rise. lets face it, this is why we hunt. Not because of scoreable points or feild dressed weight or gross and net inches.I think if every hunter kept that in mind everything else would fall into place no matter if it be safety or ethics, or even respect to every hunter.

All right, back to burning boot rubber. Again sorry for everyone loss and greif that was effected by this unfortunate accident.

vtbuckrulrss

Reaction score
Taking my daughter out this morning for muzzleloader season, which in some areas means almost any deer is shootable. I used to dislike wearing orange, but even though I am 43, my mother still insists that I wear an orange vest when ever she can make me do so. Today, Ricci Sue and I won't be leaving the truck without them on, this time not out of guilt brought on by Mom, but because I couldn't imagine losing Ric, or vice versa. I don't think we need another shooting accident this year.

keekeegirl

Reaction score
OMG - I had seen this in the NH Union Leader but only had time to read the first couple paragraphs of the article. Just catching up on HC now and I am shocked!

On my drive into work today I was so grumpy becuase it is such a beautiful day and I can't hunt and I was seeing trucks parked on the sides of the road everywhere!

Now, I just hope that everyone who is out there is safe and hope that we all keep buckshot in mind and each do what we can to prevent another horrific tragedy like this.

So sad.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Unreal...very sad situation- my thoughts to all of buckshot's family and friends. Two weeks in the woods away is good, but coming back to this sort of news is heartbreaking.

Certainly lends some perspective to everything...

Last edited:

River19

Reaction score
Horrible tragedy.

Condolences to both families as well as friends who will be forever changed. I think once people come to grips with the incident, they can look for what little positive can come from this type of situation......raise awareness to hunter safety, and the accident, while a momentary lapse in judgement with horrible consequences should not define their lives. People close to them will perhaps remember to embrace the outdoor life the way these two men did.

Status
Not open for further replies.