Quick Update

Big D

Reaction score
Spent the last week in the western mountains and things were kind of slow. We were on snow every day and found does almost every day but good buck tracks seemed to be very scarce. Seemed like the bucks were not laying down much sign at all. Not sure what to make of it. Cold tracked a couple of medium sized ones and managed to get into more does but that was about it. Not sure if it's not time yet or one of those rut years that kind of trickle on throughout the whole month. Our own Gw missed a descent one mid week though.

Normally I'd be back in NMW's right now but i'm home for a few days helping w/ sick kids. Wife is pretty worn out. Oh well. I'll get back after it for a couple days after turkey day. Not sure if it's NMW or back to the western mountains which is a shorter drive for me. Curious as to what you guys that are hunting up north are seeing. good luck to everyone the rest of the way.

groundtender

Reaction score
Very similar in northern Maine. Right down to the “no beds observed”. Just finished talking with a friend in northern Michigan. His report is almost identical.

JDK

Reaction score
Since last Thursday I have seen 13 deer. Still have not seen a scrape or rub. We had concrete like snow until today when we received about 3 inches. The deer moved hard in the torrential rain Monday and again this afternoon

lots more snow north of here

JDK

Reaction score
That includes not cutting a track yesterday

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Spent the last week in the western mountains and things were kind of slow. We were on snow every day and found does almost every day but good buck tracks seemed to be very scarce. Seemed like the bucks were not laying down much sign at all. Not sure what to make of it. Cold tracked a couple of medium sized ones and managed to get into more does but that was about it. Not sure if it's not time yet or one of those rut years that kind of trickle on throughout the whole month. Our own Gw missed a descent one mid week though.

Normally I'd be back in NMW's right now but i'm home for a few days helping w/ sick kids. Wife is pretty worn out. Oh well. I'll get back after it for a couple days after turkey day. Not sure if it's NMW or back to the western mountains which is a shorter drive for me. Curious as to what you guys that are hunting up north are seeing. good luck to everyone the rest of the way.
Big D - you had a great week. You were into deer almost every day, fixed some plumbing, stoked fires that made me want to sleep outside, let me borrow your rifle for a bit, it was all good! I'll post a short TR tomorrow.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I got back from a week in Maine this past Sunday. I didn't see a deer until Saturday afternoon after hunting hard all week.

I decided to come home Saturday evening so I hunted really close to our camp, like elevation 600 feet. Well, SOB, there were acorns near camp. I jumped 5 deer in a 20 minute span, and one was a basket rack buck. I should have had that buck, but I hesitated waiting for a good opening and it never came. Oh well, better luck next year.

Latest posts