Quick trip up north (Again x2)

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
This past weekend my wife and I headed up to Jackman area. Was good to get out of the house as I haven’t been north since I hauled my snowmobiles home end of March. Was beautiful weather, and we basically just packed a cooler and spent Saturday driving around and checking out some old haunts and some new ones. We scouted a bit for a friend that has a zone moose permit, put some cameras out for deer season, shot some guns and sighted in a new scope, etc. I ended up making my rounds, and checking out some new logging operations, and a few places I wanted to check out.

My observations is that it’s friggin dry. I think Moose hunting this year will water dependent. Where I found water which was few and far between, it was littered with big moose sign. Birds are plentiful, my dog was flushing grouse left and right and we saw a ton in the roads. My cheapie ruger American has become my favorite rifle to shoot.

Looking forward to a NMWs wall tent bird hunt in two weeks, and a zone 5 moose hunt to help a buddy end of the second week if he hasn’t tagged out by the time I get back from a work trip. It’s getting close fellas.

Attachments

Mikejd

Reaction score
Sounds like a day well spent. That guns shooting real good.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I scouted our farm all day Saturday, and it was so dry it was really hard to find recent deer activity. Even the turds looked old/dry and there were hardly any tracks because the ground is so dry.

Gfedor

Reaction score
nice pictures. My nephew who works at Acadia National Park, is doing his homework on weekend trips to moosehead lake area for some scouting missions. Tons of moose, extremely dry ground.

skinner

Reaction score
need to send comments to Maine IFW against bills to put weight limits on coyotes before you kill one and other against coyote contests and all trying to protect coyotes. details on ifw site

JDK

Reaction score
need to send comments to Maine IFW against bills to put weight limits on coyotes before you kill one and other against coyote contests and all trying to protect coyotes. details on ifw site

Who comes up with these ideas?

Big D

Reaction score
I think we are going to see heavier moose and wider racks this year at least in zones 4 and 8. Local butcher was saying the amount of fat on the bears this year was unreal. Guys were calling him thinking they got short changed on the amount of meat they were getting. 😂
Agreed on moose size. Should be a couple of year classes coming of age the next few years. Where are you setting the wall tent, I'll be running around 4 and 8 starting on the 7th.

That is some serious fat on that bear.

groundtender

Reaction score
Great report w/ pics. Headed to Zone 3 tomorrow in preparation for my role as pallbearer on a moose hunt next week.

benny8

Reaction score
My cheapie ruger American has become my favorite rifle to shoot.
Looks like a great time! Us guys that work for Ruger Firearms love to hear people enjoying our products! We own three Ruger Americans. Wife and Daughter both have the 243 compacts, I have a .308 Predator. Cover a three shot group with nickel. Good Luck this year!

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Couldnt sleep the other night, so packed my 20 gauge and drove up north for opening day of bird season. Got up there about daylight after 3 hours. Lots of people, so did some more driving to escape truck traffic. Did some driving, did lots of walking, shot my limit and and generally had a great time solo. Pulled up to a little unknown pond with my camp chair and a few yuppy beers and watched the sunset. Hermit life.

Attachments

Big D

Reaction score
Very nice. It's all I could think about Saturday. Probably should have done what you did and went solo.

I'm not sure I like the extension of bird season by a week though. Just extend the fishing season the extra days to achieve the cast and blast scenario and give the moose hunters the week to themselves. No I've never had a moose permit either.

Reactions: JDK

Latest posts