puppy trip

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it easy at this point. After last week there are some leaves showing, but we've had weeks of an 8" frozen layer on the bottom with about 10-12" on top of it. This is a nice break for them though.

Diane, how do you handle taking the shed from the dogs when you're training? My dog is pretty good at finding and retrieving, but then its almost like he loses interest and only focuses on me once I put it in my pack. I'm guessing because he can still smell it on me, even though he can't see it anymore. Its not the end of the day, but it does take a bit to get that hungry drive back into him.

frontierrots

Reaction score
Chance is still learning. So far he has found a jaw bone, a cattle bone and this moose skull
We are in an area where finding sheds is really tough on the best day so he is not going to be exposed to many antlers in a day, but what we have started is planting multi antlers in the woods around the house. He is still catching on to this but one goes in the pack and we say find more and if need be walk towards the next one.
This takes time. Being OCD over the antlers is a good thing they just need to learn to "find more" which takes time and repetition

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Same method here. Tundra, who used to be active on this forum, was a huge help in the process. "Find the bone" sends my dog into overdrive, and he can find them in the yard great. I also don't have anywhere great to look for whitetail sheds, so I get a ton of doe skulls, ribs, etc. I'm very happy with that type of find anyway...it just shows that the training is working I guess.

If he gets downwind of one, within about 20yrds, he can find it. He HATES moose antlers though. I have them cut up, and he'll find them, scratch at them and then move on.

But the "go find more" still escapes me a little. He does it, but he's slow to forget the one I just put in my pack...

frontierrots

Reaction score
takes time
and shed hunting with a dog is very different than shed hunting as a human. You must work the wind and try to keep the dog downwind of potential areas or they cant find them
Bring fantabulous treats and for every find be it a plant or natural have a big party and give one amazing treat (that wont make him sick) does not take long to associate boney finds regardless of species with party