Proctor Town Forest - Potential Sale

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
You probably thought that the sale of public land was just an issue out west.

Vermonters take care of their public land and can't be bought out, right?

Wrong!

The Town of Proctor received an offer for the 1600+ acre Proctor Town Forest located in Chittenden, VT and are considering selling. This land wasn't even up for sale. Thursday night, the Selectboard held a meeting to hear from a couple of investment firms about potential ways to invest the proceeds of the sale.

Not on our watch!

This property is a large part of the Central Green Mountain contiguous forest. This includes the Chittenden Reservoir area, Michigan Basin area, and New Boston area. Parts of the Long Trail and Catamount Trails cross through here. The brooks in this area have great fishing and the land has excellent whitetail tracking country, produces good grouse, and even upland turkey. Proctor Town Forest is used by wildlife watchers, hikers, hunters, anglers, cross country skiers and snowmobilers. This parcel provides access to the Chittenden Town Forest as well as Green Mountain National Forest.

You, your children and your children's children stand to lose all of this!

BHA urges you to write in to oppose the sale of this property. Two things to do:

• Address your written comments to the Proctor Selectboard and attach them in an email to Town Manager Stan Wilbur to be printed and forwarded to the Selectboard. Put Oppose Town Forest Sale in the subject line proctor_manager@comcast.net
  • Attend the next Selectboard meeting on Monday December 9th, at 6:00 p.m. in the Proctor Free Library Community Room, 4 Main Street, Proctor, VT to voice your opinion.

1. Stop the sale and have the land remain property of Proctor now and for future generations.
  2. If there are compelling reasons to sell this land, the Town of Proctor should consult with a conservation organization such as the VT Land Trust, The Nature Conservancy, Northeast Wilderness Trust, or a similar organization to keep this land in the public trust before entertaining a sale to a private investor.
  3. If the decision to sell moves forward, it needs to go before the voters at Town Meeting and include deeded responsible public access, not be disposed of in a short-sighted fire sale.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Matt . I know 2 families that live in Proctor.
I will call them to find out more info. There are hunters in both families.
I will make them aware of what their town government is up to

RememberBaker

Reaction score
It also contains the springs that once served as the Town of Proctor’s water supply. It’s called Boiling Springs and the right to that water is probably fairly valuable by itself. The springs are the reason Proctor owned it.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
For anyone that hasn't spent any time on this patch, go do it and you'll understand why its important. Its an awesome chunk of land. Thanks BHA for fighting the good fight.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Here’s an article from the selectboard meeting earlier this week. I’m not sure if it’s behind a paywall? If it is, I can try and copy and paste it.