Pics from 1985 DIY Moose hunt

Zach

Reaction score
How the heck did you get that monster in the bed of that truck?

Reaction score
How the heck did you get that monster in the bed of that truck?

I said in post #15 that this was a story for another day. Today is another day. The moose dropped on the edge of a clearcut. We had brought 2 trucks to camp but only used Hanks bigger Dodge. After congratulating each other my Dad tied a rope from the moose's midsection to the ball hitch of the truck. The truck pulled the moose into a clearing where we had room to work. Hank dressed out the moose. Hen had to get his head inside so to cut off the gullet. The only thing sticking out was his rear end.
All of our loading equipment was back at camp in the Nissan, so Dean and I drove the 6-7 miles back where I got the other truck. When we got back our fathers were sitting there, still admiring this moose. They had assessed the situation and Dad directed me to pull the nose of the truck against a poplar that was about 12" in diameter. I set the brake then tied a rope around the tree about 10' up. We then hooked the block and tackle to that rope then pulled the other block out until we could hook into the other rope thathad been tied around the midsection. We set planks for skids then began pulling. We got the moose about 1/2-3/4 of the way up and couldn't move him anymore. Dean reached into the cab and pulled out a come along which we hooked up to help the blocks. So we'd use the come along then pull on the ropes and keep switching until the moose was on the truck. Then we all drove back to camp and celebrated with a beer. I'm glad we did it this way instead of having some heavy equipment to load him. This was a memory that I can never forget.
After getting him home and cutting him up we made it to the top of my Mom's shit list when we left to go back deer hunting about a week later LOL!

Last edited:

Grandkid

Reaction score
Too funny I was in Chesuncook during that time. Deer hunting of course.

Roger-

Reaction score
The antlers sit on the wall of my Mom's living room. I had them in my store for years but boy were they big. Guys kept walking into them until I moved them. They weigh 47 lbs. I didn't get the whole head mounted because there was no spot where the ceiling was high enough. Those antlers are impressive when you walk in the door.moose award 2.jpg This is a picture from January 1986 at the MASTC banquet.

Last edited:

bowgunner

Reaction score
Great bull! I didn`t go that far to get mine this year. Antlers pale in comparison, but most would. I deer hunt by those mountains. I spoke with a hunter several years ago that deer hunted the cuts early and mid 80`s. He said big bulls would be numerous roaming the cuts near cowan cove, ronco cove and the mountains that are near by. The old pictures make the post all the better.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Awesome bull. You don't see too many like that anymore.

The age structure of Maine's moose population right new seems messed up. Seems like 80% or more of the moose being shot are young bulls in the 700-800lb or less range with only 30-45ish inch spreads. Very few mature 50+ inch bulls being taken.

Reaction score
In 3 days of hunting I saw 6 moose. Four bulls and two cows. smallest was seen on the evening before the hunt. He had about a 36" spread and was rubbing his antlers on a tree. Then he pushed the tree over and uprooted it. Saw a big one early one morning below us. I couldn't quite see him so I hiked up and got hid. Dad and Hank walked around in back of that moose and I heard him take off running. He ran through a swaile where I was standing and running like Secretariat with fir boughs bouncing off his antlers. I shot twice, missed both shots and just stood in awe at how big a moose actually was. Plain and simple-I had buck fever. When the guys got to me I was stuttering about how big he was.

Last edited:
Reaction score
At that time my dad was 62 and retired. He and mom owned a real country store in the Catskills. I was a substitute teacher and a guide. I also had a good sized firewood business that sold about200-250 cords of firewood a year so dad and
I spent lots of time in the woods. After getting drawn, We got brochures from almost every outfitter in the state trying to get our business. Some even went as far as to say how they got a moose out of the woods(For a mere fee of $2000-3000 ). I got the idea to do this when dad was splicing rope on our block and tackles one day. when I presented the idea to him he looked up and said, while laughing, Boy, that would be one hell of an adventure! So we packed up most of the equipment we used in the woods and off we went.

I love it - great post. Love the gravel pit pics with the couple tents. how many areas like taht have we all seen and parked in up north. the pulley system to get the bull in the truck is total old school. The bull has great palms, width and massive fronts.