Pics from 1985 DIY Moose hunt

Reaction score
Image (616).jpgImage (615).jpgImage (614).jpgImage (613).jpgImage (612).jpgImage (617).jpg

These are some pictures from our 1985 DIY moose hunt. I shot the moose< Dad was sub. The other 2 guys were Hank and Dean Merrill from Anson. Can never forget this hunt. I am experimenting with posting photos so I hope these come out OK!;) Moose was 62 1/2" and a forked drop tine that was 8"(which actually counted as a deduction!) Enjoy:buck::buck:

Reaction score
View attachment 22366View attachment 22367View attachment 22368View attachment 22369View attachment 22370View attachment 22365

These are some pictures from our 1985 DIY moose hunt. I shot the moose< Dad was sub. The other 2 guys were Hank and Dean Merrill from Anson. Can never forget this hunt. I am experimenting with posting photos so I hope these come out OK!;) Moose was 62 1/2" and a forked drop tine that was 8"(which actually counted as a deduction!) Enjoy:buck::buck:
This hunt took place when I was 100+ lbs lighter, 34 years younger, no gray hair and A LOT more nimble and agile. I don't know if I could pull this off again! LOL OOPS! I hit the wrong button and they came out twice! Sorry

Last edited:

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I love it - great post. Love the gravel pit pics with the couple tents. how many areas like taht have we all seen and parked in up north. the pulley system to get the bull in the truck is total old school. The bull has great palms, width and massive fronts.

Big D

Reaction score
That animal is a monster. Might have needed a bigger truck. Thanks for the pics.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Lol I thought this was a recent hunt (missed the 1985 the first time) great bull!
I was wondering why you were still using an Kodak instamatic camera in this digital age! ;)

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I can't get enough of "the old days" photos. thanks for taking the time to post it.

Reaction score
We scouted/hunted The area where I shot the moose the previous day. It was about a square mile of saplings and puckerbrush. After hunting the area for about 2 hours we all met on a twitch trail and had a smoke. It was a sandy spot. My buddy Hank looked down, saw the BIG track. He threw his hat on the ground and said "Boys! That's the track we've been lookin' for!" It was about 3PM and we decided to come back the next morning.
This land and all the roads were owned by Scott paper co. We had to drive up a road where they had finished cutting between Big and Little Spences mt. The company had taken all the culverts out. We'd drive 100 yards then go into a dip then go another 100 yards and do the same thing. This went on for almost 20 culvert holes. We got about 200 yards from where we came out of the woods the day before and out comes the bull. I jumped out of the truck and he was digging out about 50-100 yards away running straight away. It almost looked like an airplane taking off. I didn't want to shoot him in the ass so I waited a few seconds and he was running away but quartering. I shot but he never missed a stride.??? How could I miss something that big?? He turned broadside and I shot. He hunched up. My friend Dean was yelling "Shoot him again, we don't want to drag him too far (He was on a clearcut). My dad yelled "Don't shoot, He's down"
Getting him on the truck is another story for a rainy day. After Hank did the honors dressing him out, we found out that I had hit him twice. The first shot(quartering) went in ahead of the hind quarter on an angle and cut off his heart. The second was a lung shot. After getting him on the truck we headed for the tagging station in Greenville then to Anson
Before we left on this adventure, Dean had taken gallon milk jugs and froze water in them. When we got back there Dean and I stuffed 12 gallon jugs in his chest cavity and made sure he was laying atop a couple of pallets. This would cool him from the inside without bare ice touching the meat and allowed air to flow underneath. We left for home about 9PM with a whole moose in back of a Nissan pickup.
We got lots of looks when we got back to Delaware county in NY. I'll never put in for another permit because nothing could ever top this hunt!!!

Snowed

Reaction score
That’s a great moose! I love the pictures. Thank you for sharing those.

Reaction score
What a beautiful spot. Never went into Lobster Lake but a couple of my buds that I went to Paul Smiths College with go in there deer hunting every so often.
Thanks for the story. Good shooting!! I know that area. That is Little Spencer in the background. 1990. Taken from the top of Lobster.