Picked up a new Nov. toy.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I just got home from picking up a Savage 99F in .308. It's by no means a safe queen. It's been drilled and tapped for a scope and someone cut the stock down. That's actually what made me fall in love with it. The LOP is perfect now!!! I can't decide if I'm going to put new glass on top of it, or leave it with open sights. Might have to find me a peep....... Lot's of options, but looking forward to taking it for a cold November walk.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I love lever actions, yet I have never handled a Savage 99. I've read great things about them. I'll have to check them out next time the LGS has one.

Flatlander

Reaction score
I have a 300 Sav. 99F that was manufactured in 1955 . All 99's were drilled and tapped by the mid. 50's. Before they started d & t them the
model 99 logo was stamped top center on the front of the reciever , laterr it was offset to the left.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Well..... I just can't catch a break. I sighted in my gun tonight. Not good......... the gun shoots awesome, BUT it won't cycle the next shell properly. I thought maybe because I was using a modern ammo (Winchester 150's extreme point) that could be my issue. I went to a friends house who also shoots a .308 and tried Remington 180 PSP and had the same result.

Any of you savage guys have any insight?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Well..... I just can't catch a break. I sighted in my gun tonight. Not good......... the gun shoots awesome, BUT it won't cycle the next shell properly. I thought maybe because I was using a modern ammo (Winchester 150's extreme point) that could be my issue. I went to a friends house who also shoots a .308 and tried Remington 180 PSP and had the same result.

Any of you savage guys have any insight?
What exactly is happening?

NH Hunter

Reaction score
On my .300 and any other 99 I've owned you can short cycle the action all day. For instance when unloading before getting to the truck after hunting.

When I fire a round, work the lever, the spent casing with eject, but the next round does not feed into the chamber correctly. It wants to stand almost at a 2 o'clock stance which hits the upper part of the chamber instead of feeding smoothly. Then the lever should slide over shell 3 smoothly closing the action awaiting another shot.

At that point it is pretty much a cluster f$^k.

its almost as if the ejector isn't grabbing the spent casing or the next round correctly to guide it properly into the chamber.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you near outdoorsman? I think he can fix anything. When you go to see him, bring a piece of scrap metal and he will make something useful out of it.;)

NH Hunter

Reaction score
It sounds like the rotor is out of time.
I watched a youtube video last night on how to break down and clean a 99. In the video the guy clearly says "I'm not going to show you how to take the rotary out of this, it's a pain in the ass to get back in and very easy to not get it perfectly in line."

After watching that, I tend to agree with you you.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Hope you get it to feed properly. There is a gunsmith guy on the internet called GunBlue. I'm not certain how to get ahold of him but he lives in NH and probably can shed some light on the problem and a possible fix.

Roger-