Percussion Caps

JDK

Reaction score
Thinking I want to go back to trying my Renegade or Hawken next year. I have powder, maxi balls, but no primers. I have found Remington #11s somewhat locally and a few places have CCI on line but the hazmat fees are outrageous. Any thoughts on primers in today’s markets?

We used 90 grains of BP, 370 grain Maxiballs, and CCI #11 primers in the past.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Got a crap load of em…let me know if you want them.
Can they be mailed?

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Two things :

1 ) If anyone is mailing these and when asked whats in the package , say they are " Metal Caps " and put some cotton in the metal container so they dont rattle around . Thats the way I sent KC a pack of 209's earlier this year. No issues. But if all else fails and you get caught , do what I do very well . Play dumb . " DUH , well I didn't know ! They are just little metal caps that go over a small metal tube " LOL

2 ) And more important than #1 . DONT use that freakin Uncle Mikes Hot Nipple ! I put one of them on my TC Hawken many years ago . TONS of delayed fires . I never had any with the original TC nipple . Thinking its the gun , I cleaned everything spotless . Tried it again and same thing happened . Now i'm thinking its the primers . But I'm sighting in my TC White Mountain Carbine with the same primers at the same time as the Hawken and its not happening with the White Mountain. I switched nipples between the two guns . Then it started happening with the White Mountain and the Hawken was shooting fine . Put the original back in the White Mountain and everything was good . I couldn't throw that thing away fast enough .
The UM Hot nipple I used had 2 holes through the side of the nipple . I guess the idea was to act like putting your finger over the end of a straw in a glass of water. Pull the straw out with finger over the end and its full of water. . Add more air by taking finger off and water pours out . Instead , what was happening with mine is the ignition flame was blowing out the side holes and very little was making through the little fire channel hole on the bottom of the nipple . It got worse the more shots that were fired. The residue from the ignition was clogging up the fire channel which caused more of the flame to go out the side holes.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Two things :

1 ) If anyone is mailing these and when asked whats in the package , say they are " Metal Caps " and put some cotton in the metal container so they dont rattle around . Thats the way I sent KC a pack of 209's earlier this year. No issues. But if all else fails and you get caught , do what I do very well . Play dumb . " DUH , well I didn't know ! They are just little metal caps that go over a small metal tube " LOL
Your're scaring me, I'll have my wife mail them. :D

She won't be lying when she says metal clips, because she has no idea what they are!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Two things :

2 ) And more important than #1 . DONT use that freakin Uncle Mikes Hot Nipple ! I put one of them on my TC Hawken many years ago . TONS of delayed fires . I never had any with the original TC nipple . Thinking its the gun , I cleaned everything spotless . Tried it again and same thing happened . Now i'm thinking its the primers . But I'm sighting in my TC White Mountain Carbine with the same primers at the same time as the Hawken and its not happening with the White Mountain. I switched nipples between the two guns . Then it started happening with the White Mountain and the Hawken was shooting fine . Put the original back in the White Mountain and everything was good . I couldn't throw that thing away fast enough .
The UM Hot nipple I used had 2 holes through the side of the nipple . I guess the idea was to act like putting your finger over the end of a straw in a glass of water. Pull the straw out with finger over the end and its full of water. . Add more air by taking finger off and water pours out . Instead , what was happening with mine is the ignition flame was blowing out the side holes and very little was making through the little fire channel hole on the bottom of the nipple . It got worse the more shots that were fired. The residue from the ignition was clogging up the fire channel which caused more of the flame to go out the side holes.
Don’t remember if I ever tried one of the Uncle Mike’s nipples…this one was in my late dad’s ditty bag. I don’t recall ever having a delayed fire with my Hawken either. I would want to meet with who ever I was giving the 11s to rather than risk a hazardous mail incident.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Jay, I didn't know about the HazMat shipping. Don't think I want to chance just sending them. Sorry about that. I envision a bomb dog sniffing my package out. :)

JDK

Reaction score
No issues on this end. Thank you

mowbizz

Reaction score
No issues on this end. Thank you
JDK are you interested in what I have? You can have them for free if you want to meet somewhere. I’m in the NH lakes region.

JDK

Reaction score
JDK are you interested in what I have? You can have them for free if you want to meet somewhere. I’m in the NH lakes region.
Sorry mowbizz Just saw this as I have been smelt fishing

I’d be interested but not heading anywhere near that way until late Spring/early summer It is about a 7 hour drive to the lakes region for me. I do plan to fish the Rangeley region this spring

Thank you

mowbizz

Reaction score
Sorry mowbizz Just saw this as I have been smelt fishing

I’d be interested but not heading anywhere near that way until late Spring/early summer It is about a 7 hour drive to the lakes region for me. I do plan to fish the Rangeley region this spring

Thank you
They will keep another few months! Let me know when your down NH way and we’ll figure something out.

Reactions: JDK

Xbolt

Reaction score
Or put them in a, box cover them with newspaper
Add some old hunting magizines, on top label it
Reading material / media your good to go

Latest posts