Peep Setup

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Who runs a peep sight on your muzzle loader? I am in a bit of a dilemma. I've always hunted with a scope. As I get older, I'm finding there are days that I would much rather have a peep sight. I've been using a TC Triumph with a 1x4 Vortex scope the last couple years. I like the scope but in snowy conditions it can be a pain in the butt. I'm going to Maine for muzzle loader season this year so there is a real good chance I'll be hunting in snow. Here are the options that I have bouncing around in my head right now.

1. Abandon the scope for a peep. I'm sure I would miss the scope on certain days.

2. Try to find a scope/peep combo setup.

3. Buy a CVA Wolf and put a peep on it and have two guns for different days/conditions.

I'm kind of leaning towards option 3 at the moment.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I've got a T/C Seneca with an aperture sight and I've killed deer with it, but I cant hunt in VT without a scope anymore, it's too hard to be certain with our AR rules and my aging eyes. I've got another Seneca with open sights that I haven't shot yet. I bought it on an impulse. I'd go the seperate gun route myself if I wanted to be able to hunt out of state with a peep sight.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I hunt in the rain and snow all the time. I never wish I had open sights or a peep sight. My scope is nice and dry with a Leupold scope coat on it. Your peep can get clogged up with snow you know... You won't be able to pick a hole thru brush or ID what you you are shooting at nearly as good. It will cost you a few nice deer over the years especially in low light conditions. I know, I have been hunting with a peep sighted Thompson Renegade since 1980, not because it is the most effective, but because I wouldn't ever put a scope on a muzzle loader. You can see the peep sight on the tang of the top rifle.

Attachments

Last edited:

Escout711

Reaction score
I hunt in the rain and snow all the time. I never wish I had open sights or a peep sight. My scope is nice and dry with a Leupold scope coat on it.
I picked up one of these based on your recommendation after a snowy/foggy scope almost cost me a buck last year. Can't wait to try it out!

NY Hunter

Reaction score
Who runs a peep sight on your muzzle loader? I am in a bit of a dilemma. I've always hunted with a scope. As I get older, I'm finding there are days that I would much rather have a peep sight. I've been using a TC Triumph with a 1x4 Vortex scope the last couple years. I like the scope but in snowy conditions it can be a pain in the butt. I'm going to Maine for muzzle loader season this year so there is a real good chance I'll be hunting in snow. Here are the options that I have bouncing around in my head right now.

1. Abandon the scope for a peep. I'm sure I would miss the scope on certain days.

2. Try to find a scope/peep combo setup.

3. Buy a CVA Wolf and put a peep on it and have two guns for different days/conditions.

I'm kind of leaning towards option 3 at the moment.

Take me a look at the Butler flip cover for the eyepiece end minimumly. If you stand hunt or still hunt it shouldn't be a problem unless you jump a deer and it takes you by surprise. Lot cheaper than option 3, unless you really want another gun!!!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I picked up one of these based on your recommendation after a snowy/foggy scope almost cost me a buck last year. Can't wait to try it out!
Soak it with some waterproofing spray. Not sure if it is necessary or not, but I think it helps in heavy rain situations. Tip: don't take it off and on. If it is pouring rain or a wet damp snow, if you take it off and then put it back on it may fog up on you. That's why you always have a pack of cleanex in your top chest coat pocket so you can wipe your scope if it ever fogs for any reason.

Escout711

Reaction score
Soak it with some waterproofing spray. Not sure if it is necessary or not, but I think it helps in heavy rain situations. Tip: don't take it off and on. If it is pouring rain or a wet damp snow, if you take it off and then put it back on it may fog up on you. That's why you always have a pack of cleanex in your top chest coat pocket so you can wipe your scope if it ever fogs for any reason.
Great, thank you!

Shooter Buck

Reaction score
Take a look at eabco.com They make some scope rails with built in peep sights for a few different muzzleloaders. Ive got one and use some leupold QRW rings with it and it works great.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Take a look at eabco.com They make some scope rails with built in peep sights for a few different muzzleloaders. Ive got one and use some leupold QRW rings with it and it works great.
This. I find I hardly ever take the scope off, but knowing I can somehow helps. Peep rib. https://www.eabco.net/PeepRib-Peep-Sight-for-TC-Encore-and-Omega-by-E-Arthur-Brown-Co_p_13503.html

Otherwise run something low power, 1-2x at the bottom end. If you go this direction, make sure your front bead is high enough, and just go with a ghost ring on the peep- don't worry about an aperture.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I have an old Knight muzzleloader (circa 1990) that sports a 4x scope and a MDM carbine I outfitted with a peep. The MDM carries real nice but I haven't spent sufficient time dialing in the best load for optimal accuracy yet. I would recommend the setup mbVT runs, that's what I will likely setup on my next smokepole......someday.

benny8

Reaction score
My first deer rifle I got for Christmas from my parents in 1986 had a peep sight on it. The first deer I ever saw while hunting was in the brush and I could not pick it up with the peep sight. I would lower the gun and make out the white on its belly and hind legs, but for the life of me, I could not find it with the peep. I saved my money the next summer and purchased a scope.

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
Option 2 has always worked for well for me.....fixed 4x scope with see through mounts (not a peep... just open sights). I just like having the option of using the open sights should I need to...and the elevated scope provides a more comfortable shooting position for me.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Option 2 has always worked for well for me.....fixed 4x scope with see through mounts (not a peep... just open sights). I just like having the option of using the open sights should I need to...and the elevated scope provides a more comfortable shooting position for me.
This ^^^ I have see thru mounts on both my TC Encores and love them. If I have to I have the fiber optic iron sites for back up. I have 2 TC White Mountain carbines both with fiber optic iron sites . I put a detachable scope mount on one of them and threw it out after using it a couple days. I put the fiber optic iron sites back on. If I ever changed anything again on the White Mountain carbines it would be to try out the ghost ring peep site

Swiss1.5

Reaction score
Same here. I had the same peep Longbow has. Awesome at the range. I actually had two doe (years ago) that I could not see through the peep. Right about dusk. Switched over to a scoped inline.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Same here. I had the same peep Longbow has. Awesome at the range. I actually had two doe (years ago) that I could not see through the peep. Right about dusk. Switched over to a scoped inline.
I unscrew the reticle at last light and just use the big hole without it.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I have peeps on almost all my hunting rifles. I hate carrying a gun with a scope. I occasionally take a rifle with a scope but only if I am on stand.

I shoot a TC Encore muzzleloader. with a Katahdin barrel with a peep. I also have the full length barrel with a scope but I never carry it since I got the Katahdin barrel.