Opening day of muzzleloader

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I was sitting on the fence,so to speak, in regards to whether I should hunt the Ocean State. I work in this state and nearby there is access to public land. I hemmed and hawed and then took the plunge. I shall go out in about one hour or so and try my luck. I will give a decent report when I am done for the day.

5townsvt

Reaction score
I am interesting to hear about your experience on public land in RI. My girlfriend is from RI and later in the year I may have the opportunity to stay down there at her parent's place and hunt. There is a possibility of some access to private land but it may end up just being the public land. Curious to hear whether you think it is "worth it" in terms of how crowded and crazy the hunting is on public land.

swamprat

Reaction score
I am also curious about public land in RI, especially the northern part. I live not to far and have been thinking about it for a couple years. The early bow season, along with hunting the rut with a black powder would give me a lot more options every year. Just don't know anything about it...

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I created a hunting log on this forum. I made a report on the opening morning of my hunt in RI. I did hear a lot of shooting up until 9:00 AM. After that it was dead. I did not see any deer but I did see sign. That afternoon I went to a dinner with my wife and today we did our Walmart run for her Sunday off. Tommorrow I have a doctor's appointment at 9:00 AM and then I have to help out my parents. I will see what happens the rest of the week with the muzzleloader.

I hunted RI five years ago on state forest and WMA land and I was not impressed. I felt that I wasted my money but I will give it a better shot this season with more time in. I will hunt as much as I possibly can this week in RI and make a judgement as to whether I shall ever hunt it again.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
So far I have been having lousy luck hunting the Ocean State. I did see one flag last week but that was it. The are the deer was jumped is nice but the wind is going to be all wrong so I am not going to bother. Next Sunday is the last day of the muzzleloader season. I may hunt Thanksgiving morning and then either Saturday or Sunday before the Massachusetts shotgun season.

Flatlander

Reaction score
This is the longest stretch of northeast wind that I can remember. He hadn't hunted this piece in a few days and said there were several new scrapes. He passed on a doe before the buck showed up.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
This is the longest stretch of northeast wind that I can remember. He hadn't hunted this piece in a few days and said there were several new scrapes. He passed on a doe before the buck showed up.
That is true. It seems that almost all of my stands weakpoint is any wind from the North to Northeast wind. It seems to be just coincidence. I do have a Massachusetts bow stand that works ok with any northerly wind so I plan to hit that tommorrow after work.