OnX Map Updates. Wow!

groundtender

Reaction score
Been off grid in northern Maine. Just got home. I downloaded a section of woods before I left. I haven’t gotten it all figured out yet, but pretty darn nice. Used it with phone gps on and airplane mode on. Works like advertised. Easier than any other similar thing I have had. 24 bucks for Maine thank you to LB for telling us about the BWB code discount

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Been off grid in northern Maine. Just got home. I downloaded a section of woods before I left. I haven’t gotten it all figured out yet, but pretty darn nice. Used it with phone gps on and airplane mode on. Works like advertised. Easier than any other similar thing I have had. 24 bucks for Maine thank you to LB for telling us about the BRB code discount
Glad you liked it. Just in case others are reading, the code I used was BWB.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
This is the one area where I think the Garmin has the advantage. If you need to know exactly where you walked all day (breadcrumb feature) then I think your phone will drain its battery much quicker.
Your phone will go all day and them some on airplane mode making tracks. Burns a lot less battery than you think. My gps probably will not even make it out of the house this year. Just do not need it. Just renewed my Onx for all the states, as i like to scout on-line all year. Can't beat it.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Your phone will go all day and them some on airplane mode making tracks. Burns a lot less battery than you think. My gps probably will not even make it out of the house this year. Just do not need it. Just renewed my Onx for all the states, as i like to scout on-line all year. Can't beat it.
I've been using it since the very first year they added the northeast states...2013 maybe? I've never even dipped below 20% battery use when in airplane mode, but I've never used the breadcrumb feature before. I'm surprised it doesn't chew up much more battery, but maybe I'll try experimenting with that feature for fun this year.

Bucksaw

Reaction score
OnX is awesome, one feature I wish they would add would be wind direction. I used a free app, antler insanity I think, that would show wind direction. Some of the properties I hunt in southern NH have different access points that I would choose depending on wind for that day. While not essential it does make it easier to see which direction your scent is being carried. Only other issue I saw was last year when hunting VT for the first time my friend used OnX to show us which properties we could hunt. The land owner came over later in the day and we were talking to him about it, he never heard of it so we showed him. Most of his land was reported as owned by someone else which kind of pissed him off. Everywhere else I have used it the land ownership was accurate.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
OnX is a game changer for sure. As other have said you can run it all day in airplane mode. But if you worried about battery issues, for $40 you can go to Wally World and buy a 20,000 mah charger that will allow you to charge your phone 3 times on one charge. They are small only weigh 9 ounces and you'll have all the battery life you'll ever need.

Latest posts