On the board for 2021!

Tailfeathers

Reaction score
Man its been a warm season so far. My efforts in Maine have been slow as I have been focused on putting my wife on some deer, but things have been picking up in mass. I moved over the summer for work to southern MA which brought the opportunity to explore a new area. I set out in mid August to find an area to hunt and quickly focused in on a piece of town land that had no easy access or parking but was a 2 mile walk across a marsh from the house. The area was thick with deer sign and cameras quickly revealed several mature bucks moving back a forth between two large marsh grass bedding areas.

In the week leading up to the season I had regular day light activity and things were looking like up! Opening day arrived and the trail went cold despite no obvious sign of other hunting pressure all deer activity vanished!

A week two scouting mission revealed a large island of oaks in the marsh with fresh buck sign. I put a camera on the run leading to and from the island with high hopes. I had taken Friday morning off of work for a dentist appointment and when a Thursday morning camera update revealed the buck I was after making his way out to the oak island in day light, I quickly called the dentist to cancel.

I was out the door at 430 the next morning for the 2 mile walk and on stand around 530. All was quiet except for the group of blue jays that had taken up position in the tree above me and were taking turns mocking me. Just after 7 I caught movement to my right and saw what I thought was a doe coming down the trail. I only had a small shooting window so I was ready just in case when the buck plowed his way into the opening at 25 yards and stopped. My arrow took a slight deflection but I was lucky and it worked through the shoulder and passed through.

He went 120 yards and crashed down, which is when the real work started. Thank goodness for good friends because it took a mile drag and a 3 mile boat ride to get him out of there.

Good luck this season. Thanks for reading!

DSC_0014 small.JPG IMG_2943.jpg

NH Hunter

Reaction score
That's a hell of a well earned buck and what sounds like an awesome hunt that will never be forgotten. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Wow that is a nice buck. Congrats on figuring them out. It is fun putting the puzzle together if/when it works out. good story and pics!

Tailfeathers

Reaction score
Weight please....
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Longbow unfortunate I never got him on a proper scale... it was 75 out on the day I got him and the flies were already swarming so I opted to get him right to a walkingin instead of bringing him home and hanging him up. He was plenty fat and ready for the rut though. He did pick me up off the ground pretty easily on a one to one pully (I'm about 180) but anything beyond that would be a guess.

Last edited:

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Read your story again and that was a lot of work for that buck. You still hunting that piece if you have any tags left?

JDK

Reaction score
Very nice deer. Congratulations.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Great buck Double brow tines are a really cool feature. Would be curios to the width to of the antlers. He is a hog.

amclimber

Reaction score
I missed this one. What an adventure! Congrats on a great buck, and on finding a great hunting spot!

Latest posts