OK.... Rant time

kevin in nh

Reaction score
Good job sticking with it Shawn! Thats the beauty of Deer hunting it can change in a blink!

Jimmy S

Reaction score
Nice pics - Congrats - Love the Savage 99.

I hunt with my Dad's .250/3000 bought in the early 50's.

My Dad was successful in Maine with that rife and year back (1972) , I shot my first deer with it in Maine and also a few in NH.
Last year my son shot his doe using it for the first time.
The very next day, his son, my grandson, shot his first NH deer. A beautiful 183 pound 8 pointer using the .250

All in all - 4 generations have had great luck using a rifle my Dad bought in Carmel, Maine in 1952.
My Dad passed away in 1970 but it is very special inded everytime one of us takes that rifle during deer season.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Nice pics - Congrats - Love the Savage 99.

I hunt with my Dad's .250/3000 bought in the early 50's.

My Dad was successful in Maine with that rife and year back (1972) , I shot my first deer with it in Maine and also a few in NH.
Last year my son shot his doe using it for the first time.
The very next day, his son, my grandson, shot his first NH deer. A beautiful 183 pound 8 pointer using the .250

All in all - 4 generations have had great luck using a rifle my Dad bought in Carmel, Maine in 1952.
My Dad passed away in 1970 but it is very special inded everytime one of us takes that rifle during deer season.
I've owned a couple beat up 99 250/3000's . I regret selling them both, but financial issues caused the need to do so. I only have a couple more guns on my "gotta have" list. I would love to replace one of the .250's and a Winchester in .348 is just something I've always wanted. Kevin NH had a couple for sale a few years back. Unfortunately my financial situation didn't allow me to buy one at the time. I keep looking and waiting...... one will turn up. Seems like the 99's have actually started on the downhill side of price. I only paid 450.00 for the 99F in the picture. Granted, the stock is cut, and I think it was re-blued. But I didn't buy it for a safe queen or an investment. it's a hunting tool that became an instant favorite of all time this season. Not because of "success" but because of how nice it is to carry, and how confident I feel while shooting it.

That's a great family heirloom you guys have there Jimmy. That 99 is responsible for many a happy moment in the field. I love the old school guns......

Last edited:

kevin in nh

Reaction score
I've owned a couple beat up 99 250/3000's . I regret selling them both, but financial issues caused the need to do so. I only have a couple more guns on my "gotta have" list. I would love to replace one of the .250's and a Winchester in .348 is just something I've always wanted. Kevin NH had a couple for sale a few years back. Unfortunately my financial situation didn't allow me to buy one at the time. I keep looking and waiting...... one will turn up. Seems like the 99's have actually started on the downhill side of price. I only paid 450.00 for the 99F in the picture. Granted, the stock is cut, and I think it was re-blued. But I didn't buy it for a safe queen or an investment. it's a hunting tool that became an instant favorite of all time this season. Not because of "success" but because of how nice it is to carry, and how confident I feel while shooting it.

That's a great family heirloom you guys have their Jimmy. That 99 is responsible for many a happy moment in the field. I love the old school guns......
Shawn......all of my levers went except one of the 71s after that medical scare when I thinned the herd......the 1937 in "honest wear" condition. I must be feeling really good as I have been on a buying spree for the last two years!