Ohio Shotgun Buck

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
That’s a great deer. I started hunting in Ohio about 12 years ago. I started on public land then got permission to hunt a few places. After a few years a friend told me he needed to sell 16 acres. I drove out to look at it and bought it the next day. So far I’ve killed 5 Pope and Young bucks and shot a 150” buck this year but lost him. All on 16 acres. Public land is great in bow season but I will never hunt it in gun season again.
I've been twice for shotgun. I saw far more hunters than deer. It was very frustrating.

I did love the January Muzzle loader season.

Wandling

Reaction score
Gun season opens way too late in Ohio. The rut is far over and the bucks are laid up in the thickets at that time. I hunted from November 6-December 1 this year. I saw a ton of deer every day until the 15th. After that I was lucky to see 1 deer per day. Bow hunt Ohio November 7-15 and you will be back every year.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
He had the horns scored by a friend who knows how to score. He came up with 157 6/8". He will have them officially scored soon.

rps20180211_192326_794.jpg

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
It looks even more impressive in the pic with the boy holding the rack than it does in the pic with the buck on the ground

Very nice. Congrats to your Dad again.

Ingen

Reaction score
Gun season opens way too late in Ohio. The rut is far over and the bucks are laid up in the thickets at that time. I hunted from November 6-December 1 this year. I saw a ton of deer every day until the 15th. After that I was lucky to see 1 deer per day. Bow hunt Ohio November 7-15 and you will be back every year.
That's a good thing. Late gun seasons give a lot of bucks more birthdays, and a big reason certain states have a lot more big boys. Think about it...Kansas (rifle opens Nov 28-30th), Iowa (1st Saturday in December), Illinois (Thanksgiving), Ohio (early December), etc. If any of those states had gun seasons during the primary rut, the quality of bucks would take a cliff dive after 2 years. It's been proven. Indiana is finding that out now. Over the last 10 seasons Indiana was near the top (#4) for B&C entries, but due to some shady legislation, gun season now opens during peak rut (Nov 13-15th). In the last 2 seasons, the number of book deer is down drastically. stats don't lie. Different mentality between managing for opportunity or trophy class animals...can't have both

TheLostBeaver

Reaction score
That’s an awesome buck! congrats to your father in law. It makes it even sweeter where he’s been at it for 20 years out there and finally gets the big one.

TheLostBeaver

Reaction score
That's a good thing. Late gun seasons give a lot of bucks more birthdays, and a big reason certain states have a lot more big boys. Think about it...Kansas (rifle opens Nov 28-30th), Iowa (1st Saturday in December), Illinois (Thanksgiving), Ohio (early December), etc. If any of those states had gun seasons during the primary rut, the quality of bucks would take a cliff dive after 2 years. It's been proven. Indiana is finding that out now. Over the last 10 seasons Indiana was near the top (#4) for B&C entries, but due to some shady legislation, gun season now opens during peak rut (Nov 13-15th). In the last 2 seasons, the number of book deer is down drastically. stats don't lie. Different mentality between managing for opportunity or trophy class animals...can't have both
Maybe that’s a good thing if you like to bow hunt for book deer, but not for me. I would honestly move or hunt another state before I would buy a hunting license, if they did that to our gun season here. It’s not that I don’t like bow hunting, but it doesn’t compare to rifle season for me.

Latest posts