Ohio Shotgun Buck

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
My father in law has been going to Ohio for 20 years now for shotgun season. In that time, he has shot one 8 pointer, tons of doe, and a few small buck, all on state land. Well, after all that time, he shot a beauty this season. 13 pointer shot opening morning on state land with my Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70.

rps20171215_053613_286.jpg

I couldn't be more happy for him. I wish I could have been there to share that moment with him!

Escout711

Reaction score
Wow, gorgeous buck, heavy rack! I see that Ohio just made it legal to use straight walled rifle cartridges this year, that really opens up some neat possibilities!

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Wow, gorgeous buck, heavy rack! I see that Ohio just made it legal to use straight walled rifle cartridges this year, that really opens up some neat possibilities!
Its been legal for a 3-4 years now. That is the main reason I bought my guide gun. I used to go with him until I became frustrated with the amount of hunters crammed into small parcels of state land. I've been letting him borrow the gun for a couple years now. It is so much better than a shotgun or muzzle loader!

Lavman

Reaction score
Congrats to him, that is a really great buck!

Big D

Reaction score
That's a beauty for sure. I'm a little confused as to what constitutes shotgun season though?:confused:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
That one is definitely going on the wall ! Congrats to your Dad on a beauty !

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I always struggle with this. I don't really care for shotgun season in Ohio. It's a 14 hour drive and there are a lot of hunters in the woods. I much prefer hunting Maine. I think I had him talked into coming to Maine next year before He got this buck. No chance of that now.

I miss hunting with him. Right now I'm considering going there with him next season, just so I can spend some time with him, even if it's not my kind of hunting.

Wandling

Reaction score
That’s a great deer. I started hunting in Ohio about 12 years ago. I started on public land then got permission to hunt a few places. After a few years a friend told me he needed to sell 16 acres. I drove out to look at it and bought it the next day. So far I’ve killed 5 Pope and Young bucks and shot a 150” buck this year but lost him. All on 16 acres. Public land is great in bow season but I will never hunt it in gun season again.

Latest posts