NY State Buck

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
After I got home from Maine last Wednesday, my friend invited me up to his uncle's farm in Franklin, N.Y. He and his uncle had already tagged out. I had never hunted the 370 acres before, but was excited to try. I checked my ONX maps and with some advice from my friend I headed out the first day(Saturday) to do some still hunting. I stayed high on the ridge and managed to see 20 deer over the course of the day including one spike buck and a larger buck that I couldn't get a good look at. This morning I worked the ridge on the other side of the road, but was hampered by very crunchy frozen leaves. Finally I found a decent place to sit with some visibility and buck sign. After about an hour caught some movement coming up the hill and saw that it was a buck. Bucks have to have at least 3 points on one side, so after identifying that I took the front quartering shot at 70 yards with the 35 Whelen. A fun trip hunting some new country.

Pics of deer and entry hole(shoulder). Bullet found on opposite side under skin by rear leg.

Orange not required in NY State, although I was wearing an orange vest when hunting.

Thanks for reading.
IMG_4064.jpg IMG_4061.jpg IMG_4059.jpg IMG_4067.jpg IMG_4072.jpg

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Very nice LB. So how many points and what did he weigh? Looks to be 140 ish? Congratulations too!

amclimber

Reaction score
Congrats. That must be a good time hunting in an area with 20 deer sightings/day. I'm feeling pretty good if I see that many in a couple weeks!

Latest posts