NY Southern/Western Zone Opener

NY Hunter

Reaction score
Good luck to all heading upstate for the gun season opener. Looking forward to the post hunt pics and stories.

NY Hunter

NH-Archer

Reaction score
Heading to NY in 2 weeks to hunt with our friends. First time they invited us in 17 years.
You NY-ers hold your deer tight!! Hopefully we'll have some pics. Good luck!

NY Hunter

Reaction score
I am wheels up and rolling west tomorrow morning. I know that DLuke, Turningleaf, and Ultratec all rolled out this morning.

Leaving 0630 tomorrow and can't wait. I'm 70 yrs old and I still get excited like I did as a kid. Good luck to you and the others.

Escout711

Reaction score
Leaving 0630 tomorrow and can't wait. I'm 70 yrs old and I still get excited like I did as a kid. Good luck to you and the others.

Even though I start hunting here in Massachusetts in late October, the NY Southern Zone rifle opener is still always "Opening Day" for me. It's like Christmas Day!

vito

Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow at 530 am, scouting and sitting the afternoon with the bow

NY Hunter

Reaction score
Hunted 4W, horrible weather, rain/flurries and serious wind. Saw only 2 Does Monday morning. Zero shots fired in the surrounding area and l know others were out in woods. Worsest opening weekend in awhile.

NH-Archer

Reaction score
We got back from our NY trip with 2 deer. Both Does. Hunted zones 4A, 6S and 7M. Not one buck spotted. Given, this was the 3rd weekend of the rifle season, I didn't expect much.
The capper for me was, I managed to pull off a 330 yards shot at a doe and got her!!! 300 win Mag. We hunted state land doing drives from 8am till 3pm for 2 days. Had so much fun and met some
good people. Boy NY, you take deer hunting VERY serious, I was blown away. I tip my beer to you guys!!

NY Hunter

Reaction score
We got back from our NY trip with 2 deer. Both Does. Hunted zones 4A, 6S and 7M. Not one buck spotted. Given, this was the 3rd weekend of the rifle season, I didn't expect much.
The capper for me was, I managed to pull off a 330 yards shot at a doe and got her!!! 300 win Mag. We hunted state land doing drives from 8am till 3pm for 2 days. Had so much fun and met some
good people. Boy NY, you take deer hunting VERY serious, I was blown away. I tip my beer to you guys!!

Yea the 3rd weekend of the season is tuff, drives are the best way to go. This season has been off, most others I've spoken with all claim a low number of deer sightings. Hopefully we paid the price this season for a more productive 2018 season. Glad you enjoyed hunting New York, we're not all like the idiots you read and hear about in the news. Congrats on your 330yd shot.

Last edited:

NH-Archer

Reaction score
I didn't mention, playing cards, drinking, laughing our asses off and making fun on makes of truck some of us own.
One thing I did learn, buy chaps!!! Everyone has them, going through the crap they do.

Latest posts