NY 2016 Goose Trip

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
Was out with Paul NH and another guy to the Fingerlakes region in NY for a New Year's Goose Trip. Overall it was pretty slow. I guess the warm weather in December hadn't pushed new birds down. We saw a lot but many were locked into a set routine from Roost to specific fields we weren't on. Day one we managed 3 Geese and a Black Duck. Day 2 was a total skunk but we saw thousands going in and out of a nearby pond all day - this after moving 400 decoys and getting an ATV stuck multiple times trying to get set up before the AM flight. Day 3 was decent and we managed our limit.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Looks like a nice trip ? Alot of work goes into those hunts. Congrats !

Do you guys just cut the breasts out ? Or do you skin them or pluck the whole bird ?

Cj1992

Reaction score
Very nice. Where in the Finger Lakes? I was hunting Montezuma two weeks back and regularly hunt Canandaigua and Ontario. Great bird hunting.

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
Very nice. Where in the Finger Lakes? I was hunting Montezuma two weeks back and regularly hunt Canandaigua and Ontario. Great bird hunting.
Lake Cayuga near Seneca Falls so very close to Montezuma. At times we were hunting birds coming from the direction of Montezuma refuge.

Paul/NH

Reaction score
We cut the breasts out but also keep the leg meat too.
Trust me guys... take a few extra minutes to get the legs. I think Grey has posted the red-wine and red-wine vinegar braise recipe we use a lot. Its great for bear...

...its twice as good for a load of goose legs!!