Not a full Russell Report 2019

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Great buck, Jeff. Sorry I missed it.

And you’re right certainly a good distraction to read through this.

thanks to all for your continued support of Jase, guys. We appreciate it so much.

RussellBro2

Reaction score
where did all those 06 bullets end up?
Would any of your guys have use for a BLR stock and forearm (straight)?
I hit him 4 of 5 times. The first shot would have killed him. I hit him back on 2 of 3 running broadside shots, one right at the tail and one just behind the diaphragm. I was shooting thtrough some crap but did learn i need to lead more, especially since i was back on a deer running less than full speed. He was standing for the final shot that took him through the neck which was one hell of a big target even at 60 yds! Peep worked well!

No need for the BLR wood but thanks for the offer!

MackLegacy

Reaction score
Funny story, we ran into your Dad hunting this year. Apparently our truck looks just like yours, so when we passed each other on a logging road he slowed to talk so we did too.

It went something like this:
“I’m sorry guys, I thought you were my boys. One of them drives the same truck you have. Any luck so far?”
Me, leaning forward to look from the passenger seat: “Hey I recognize you, you’re the Russell brother’s Dad!”

Pretty funny to run into a “stranger” in the middle of nowhere. I’m sure he got a kick out of that just like we did. Plus we got a sneak peek of your successful season! I had long suspected we hunted the same general area. Amazingly beautiful and challenging country up there.

So glad to hear your son/nephew is on the road to recovery and thanks for the story to help limp us along until next season!

RussellBro2

Reaction score
Funny story, we ran into your Dad hunting this year. Apparently our truck looks just like yours, so when we passed each other on a logging road he slowed to talk so we did too.

It went something like this:
“I’m sorry guys, I thought you were my boys. One of them drives the same truck you have. Any luck so far?”
Me, leaning forward to look from the passenger seat: “Hey I recognize you, you’re the Russell brother’s Dad!”

Pretty funny to run into a “stranger” in the middle of nowhere. I’m sure he got a kick out of that just like we did. Plus we got a sneak peek of your successful season! I had long suspected we hunted the same general area. Amazingly beautiful and challenging country up there.

So glad to hear your son/nephew is on the road to recovery and thanks for the story to help limp us along until next season!
Hey def enjoyed his chat with you! He was telling us back at camp that night how he never expected to be recognized for any reason, especially up in there. The most amazing country and no place I'd rather be. Roads were a mess, though! We spent too much time shoveling out stuck trucks during the first part of the 4th week. How'd your crew make out? Hope for a handshake up in there one of these days.

Snowed

Reaction score
Glad to hear the surgery went well. Hang in there Jase! Congratulations on a great buck! There is definitely a difference between luck and skill. Skill and effort creates good luck! Thank you for the update on Jase and for report. It was a nice distraction from the craziness!

MackLegacy

Reaction score
Hey def enjoyed his chat with you! He was telling us back at camp that night how he never expected to be recognized for any reason, especially up in there. The most amazing country and no place I'd rather be. Roads were a mess, though! We spent too much time shoveling out stuck trucks during the first part of the 4th week. How'd your crew make out? Hope for a handshake up in there one of these days.
Roads sure were bad, weren’t they? We got about as close to stuck as you can get, but the old Toyota with street tires held her own. We got into some does but never could put horns on anything. Had 2 good tracking sessions on fresh but average tracks, but never could close the gap. By the time we started figuring things out, our one week was over. I travel over 1400 miles to get there, so scouting trips aren’t really possible either. But we love it and make the most of our time even if there may be a few years in between bucks.

I’m pretty sure you guys came barreling past me in your truck when I holed up in a spur road shooting shack for a break one rainy day. Someday we’ll surely cross paths, although up there it could be 20 years from now. We’ll be the ones in the red plaid woolrich. Uncle Gary is one I need to meet, he seems like a real piece of work!

Loved the book by the way, it really captures the essence (and nonsense) of Maine deer camp and the experience of hunting up there.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Really enjoyed the story of your successful Maine hunt. Thanks for sharing another exciting story with us. I bet the look on your dads face was priceless. Also want to send my best on te progress with Jase. The good lord is looking down on your family during these trying times.

Roger-

Latest posts