Northfield/Bernadston

lester2

Reaction score
Been hunting this area with a friend the last 4-5 years. We don’t get a chance to scout before deer season, we come in cold and use most of the first day to figure things out. I’m not foolish enough to ask where your hunting spots are, but one piece of info that would be very helpful as we go in the woods is are there any acorns? Up here in northern VT both beechnuts and acorns were non-existent this year. How about down there, can anybody tell me what the nut crop is, heavy, spotty, nothing? Thanks.

bthunter

Reaction score
Bad year for mast crop in Central Mass. I hunt an oak ridge that has always produced acorns, but not this year for some reason...

lester2

Reaction score
With no acorns the deer seemed to be more widely scattered. Feeding sign we saw was mostly focused on browse in cut or thinned areas and ferns in softwoods. Once we identified these areas we focused on them and saw deer, 9 total between the 2 of us over 3 full days hunting. No buck sightings although not all deer were positively identified as antlerless. There were 4 other hunters in the same general area as us. We spoke with them at the end of the 2nd day, none had taken a buck and we didn’t hear any shots the last day that would have been them. We had 2-3” of crusty snow that had fallen early in the week. It made for loud walking but it was easy to hear deer moving when you sat. Not a ton of buck sign but enough to know there was some around and to identify their core areas. All in all a good few days.

lester2

Reaction score
Well this year is a whole different story. Lots of acorns and deer. 3 full days of hunting and between 2 of us we saw 40 deer total, two were bucks. About noon yesterday I had a buck come in behind 7 does/fawns. Took a broadside shot at 100 yards with my 20 gauge shooting Remington Accutips, at the shot he flopped right over. He was still kicking and trying to get up so I shot again and missed then he got up and ran 30 yards, I shot again, missed, then he ran off. 4 hours later and 2 miles from the truck I left him, the whole time tracking there was very little blood, just a few drops here and there and he never bedded. I think I hit him high in between the top of his lungs and the spine. First time that’s ever happened but by the way he was traveling I’d guess he’s gonna be ok. We hope to get back down later in the month, it’s good to see so many deer!

lester2

Reaction score
As of 30 minutes ago I’m the proud owner of a new to me, used, 870 12 gauge with rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. Too late to get it scoped and sighted in for the couple days left in this years shotgun season but it’ll be ready for next year. Way more downrange energy than a 20 gauge!

Latest posts