North for Moose

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Jeff and I drove North after work last Thursday. Pulled into camp around 2am and woke up at 4:30.

Some road conditions turned us around but we were walking by 6:30.

Moose brought us to three dead moose within the first hour which was discouraging. All pelts seemed to be in good shape which leads me to believe it wasn't ticks that did them in, but cold and deep snow.

Moose and I popped back onto the road and he started getting birdy - zig zagging in and out of the woods. I looked up the road 60-70 yards and saw a freshie - Moose locked onto it and brought it back to me likes hes supposed to.

I'm pretty sure I saw this bull back in November during deer season. Not huge but a dense, heavy bone and we were on the board.

Monkey.jpg

Moose and I took a quick nap while we waited for Jeff and he came out of the woods with his first for the day. A weird old shed, the paddle curving like a taco shell.

We had a quick bite to eat and split up again. I decided to hit the opposite side of the road where I'd seen a bunch of moose during deer season a few years ago. I got into the woods and the sign was great - a bunch of rubs and crap. Moose was pretty tired out at this point and when he gets tired he sticks on my heel. When he struck out to the right with his nose in the air, I started scanning. Sure enough, he was locked onto and antler - and a nice one at that. A year old, but all kinds of character and another heavy (for its size) bone.

Freak.jpg

Freak 2.jpg

I met Jeff at the truck and he'd picked up another nice oldie. Moose had actually winded it earlier that morning but I wasn't patient enough and called him off of it. We hpped in the truck and headed to the next spot where Jeff picked up a monster freshie spike.

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
We were getting pretty tired at this point but with only a day to look we hopped back in the woods around 3 with the plans of giving it 2 more hours. We went to a spot that's been good to us in the past and I decided to stay high, while jeff went low.

45 minutes into it I looked to my left and saw the white circle of an anlter base. Moose picked up the scent about the same time i spotted it and he worked his way over. I was so focused on moose working I didn't notice the match laying three feet to the left.

As they lay.jpg

My first side by side match with Moose!

Moose moose.jpg

Moose was pretty tuckered out by now (as was I) so we headed for the truck to wait for Jeff. He came by a short while late with two smaller old antlers. We took the stringer shot and called it a day.

Stringer.jpg

A great day in the Maine woods. The matched set lacks paddle length but the palms are wide and we put a quick tape on him at about 51-53". Next trip up will be to open camp up and we'll have the kiddos in tow, so likely won't get much time to look again.

Browseline

Reaction score
That is a very good day antler hunting. I hope to get up to camp within the next 2 weeks and look around. Thanks for the pictures.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Nice day in the moose woods. What type of training did you put your dog through to work on sheds?

Roger-

Big D

Reaction score
Good haul. Must have been nice just to get back in the woods.

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Nice day in the moose woods. What type of training did you put your dog through to work on sheds?

Roger-
We brought him home to be a family dog, but I figured I might as well try to train him to find sheds and retrieve grouse.

Started by giving him only antlers as "toys" when we brought him home. Taught him the "find it" and "bring it" commands with treats for rewards. Lots of fetch with an antler (still). Slowly started hiding antlers in the house (usually with a treat on top of them or near them), transitioned to outside in the yards then to the woods around home.

He found his first moose antler when he was 10 months old buried in 18" of snow. He's found a few since but I don't get him in the moose woods nearly enough (only a day or two each year). He doesn't have the best nose but its still alot better than mine!

He's just a great dog - unbelievable with kids and makes walks in the woods more fun.

Grandkid

Reaction score
The training with an antler and treat makes lots of sense. Hiding them and playing fetch makes it fun for him and gratifying for you. Labs are wonderful dogs to have as a house pet (minus the shedding) and in the woods. I bet having him find an antler at 10 months in 18" of snow surprised you. It's proof under the right conditions that nose is super!

Congratulations on the find from the Maine woods. Nice to add to the pile I bet.

Roger-