Non 10 archery doe

arlow

Reaction score
I may have messed up up shooting her. She came in and hung around for like 10 mins before I couldnt take it any more and shot her. Figured no buck folowing at that point. Shot her. She bounded 10 yards and stood there for like 5 mins then very slowly walked off. I lost sight of her in the binos at about 40 yards. 5 mins later scanning the area with the binos I see an absolute giant standing there looking my way. Biggest deer I have ever seen, or have ever had on camera. And I have had some big ones on camera. No good shot, too far too much stuff in the way. He walked off the way she went and her companions ran at the shot. I grunted and bleated but only got a breif cursary look from him. Had I let her pass I prob would have gotten a shot at him.

Hopefully I get a second chance at him as he was not tipped off to my presence.

Oh well. Fresh backstraps doesnt suck!

Attachments

• received_678171647001760.jpeg
    received_678171647001760.jpeg
    629.6 KB · Views: 18
  • received_688809942578380.jpeg
    received_688809942578380.jpeg
    904.8 KB · Views: 18

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats on the doe. Too bad about the buck.

That reminds me of a story I heard at camp in Maine. A doe came by this hunter at 8am, so he sat down to see if anything was following. There was, but not until 2pm, and he shot a big buck.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Should have let her walk? 10 Minutes and I probably would have done the same thing. Congratulations and good luck with that buck.

BDB

Reaction score
Hind sight right!! I would have shot her too, congrats on the freezer filler!

arlow

Reaction score
Sad update to the buck. I had another encounter with him on the 19th. About 4 pm he came trotting and grunting about 50 yards behind me. I had estrus out and he stopped when he hit the scent stream. I grunted and bleated after about 5 mins of him standing there. He then worked his way in to about 25 yards but keeping stuff between me and him preventing a shot opportunity. He walked back and forth between two shooting lanes but never got into the open for me. He just did not see what he wanted to see to commit to those last two steps I needed him to take and finally just walked away in the direction he was originally headed. He walked by one of my cams on the way out. Awe inspiring animal for sure.

Thanksgiving night I got another photo of him. Right antler is snapped off just past the brow tine. left antler is snapped off just past the G3. Thinking he had a run in with a vehicle. Chances of another deer big enough to do that kind of damage in a fight I think is pretty low.

At this point I just hope he makes it to next year

broken.jpg

BrianWI

Reaction score
Try something a bit more potent. Lucky 7 "The Juice" is a sex and challenge scent that often makes them forget to be so cautious.

lucky7scents.com is the place.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Aww man, that's a kick in the butt that he's all broken up now this year. At least he's alive and other hunters may pass him up thinking he's a small rack.

Latest posts