NJ Youth Day Buck

longbow

Reaction score
Only had the morning to hunt on November 23, which was the date of NJ's annual Youth Firearm Hunt. We had to get it done early as we were leaving on our Maine hunt at midday.

We sat in our double ladder stand from before light to 9, when my son spotted this buck coming along the ridge. I stopped the buck with a grunt at 60 yards and my son made a good shot using a Ithaca Deerslayer III, 20 gauge. Got the deer to the butcher and we were off to Maine. This was his last Youth Day hunt, turns 17 in February.

Attachments

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I admire the fact your son spends so much time in the woods and on the water with you. Being from NJ, how many kids are hitting the field as often as he does, or even close? I only ask because when he goes to school and gives the kids in homeroom "yeah shot a nice buck today" or "spent yesterday catching some cocker brown trout with my dad" are there many other kids enjoying the outdoors and taking advantage of the hunting opportunities you guys have down there?

longbow

Reaction score
I admire the fact your son spends so much time in the woods and on the water with you. Being from NJ, how many kids are hitting the field as often as he does, or even close? I only ask because when he goes to school and gives the kids in homeroom "yeah shot a nice buck today" or "spent yesterday catching some cocker brown trout with my dad" are there many other kids enjoying the outdoors and taking advantage of the hunting opportunities you guys have down there?
Thank you. He definitely likes to hunt, but rarely asks to go, if you know what I mean. I think he would sit and play video games full time if I let him. lol But, he is very active in school sports, football, basketball and baseball. When I was his age I was always chomping at the bit to go hunting. His interest does not seem that great, but he still likes it.

Although much of NJ is built up, where we live is very rural. I have bear, deer, bobcats, turkeys, coyotes, in the backyard all the time. So, being out in the country hunting is very popular although probably not as popular as it once was. Quite a few of his friends at school hunt and fish.

Now if we were closer to NYC, then it would not be as common for sure. We are only 4 miles from Pennsy., just north of I-80. Nice rural part of the state. Big ridge with the Appalachian Trail runs through, across the valley from my house. All state and Federal land open to hunting.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Very nice buck ! He had some great action before getting in the truck for Maine !
But he definitely looked under the weather like you mentioned he was sick while up in Maine.
Congrats to him !

On another note , this driving up to deer and loading them on the rack without having to drag it is getting old ! :ROFLMAO:

Grandkid

Reaction score
I like your style. You make him drag the Maine buck? A little ways at least?

Roger-

JDK

Reaction score
Nice buck

“Last” youth days were always bittersweet

Big D

Reaction score
That's the way to do it. Tag out in one state and head to another the next day.