NJ Opening Day Gun

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
My friend that I go to Maine with every year and my son will be out tomorrow for opening day of the NJ Gun Season. Two bucks are allowed to be shot during the 6 day season. The season continues until the end of January if you buy additional permits.

We are looking for this buck that I should have had last Monday during M.L., but I was lazy and didn't clear some shooting lanes out into an overgrown field that I usually do. Well, I cleared those lanes last Wednesday. I added 2020 and 2021 pics of him. Also, another dark horned 7 point that the neighbor sent me.

I always put a bait pile and camera in the thickest part of the property, but we will be hunting about 300 yards on either side of it. He is too smart to come to the bait in the day time.

Supposed to be 58 and raining, but there should be some hunting pressure on the neighboring properties so we are hoping he gets bumped our way.

Good luck to any other NJ hunters going out!

11220961.JPG 12220387.JPG 20211105_123328.jpg

mowbizz

Reaction score
Good luck! I’ll be out with the crossbow tomorrow hoping some of the late November bucks are still cruising!

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Nice Buck! I have a full week of work ahead of me this week (I hate how work gets in the way of life/hunting), but am planning on getting out soon. Hope for some snow to come in sooner than later. Best of Luck!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, the 3 of us all saw deer and some small bucks, but nothing we wanted to shoot. My wife, however, decided to sit in her ladder stand behind our house and managed to shoot a nice buck. We were all hunting about 10 minutes away, but she managed to get it up to the house and hung before we got home for lunch. She was using an H&R 20 gauge with Lightfield slugs. Shot was about 40 yards. Deer ran about 50 yards. The trail cam captured the action.

12060363.JPG 12060372.JPG

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I guess Mrs LB just had to go show you guys how its done ! Im sure she will be selling you her " How To " instructional vid , and maybe give you an ever so slight family discount on the price ! :D

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess Mrs LB just had to go show you guys how its done ! Im sure she will be selling you her " How To " instructional vid , and maybe give you an ever so slight family discount on the price ! :D
I can't believe she pulled it up the hill with the wheel barrow! :D I could have pulled it right up with the ATV if she had just waited until we got home. I haven't talked to her yet in person, she'll be home from work soon. I bet she was excited and wanted to get it up to the house. She hasn't shot any in quite a few years. She usually only sits for the first couple of hours on opening day.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
That is awesome congrats to her! Great buck and awesome to have the cam pics. BUT I have to highlight that she did not have enough posts for a valid entry into the NJ Points & Pounds contest! Unless of course she knows a moderator who will allow her in.

Mikejd

Reaction score
Congrats to the Ms. She's pretty bad ass. Just getting him into the wheel barrow alone had to be a chore. Awesome.

Latest posts