NH Muzzleloader 1st Weekend

xp600

Reaction score
Had a doe with 2 fawns come by early Saturday morning and later had black coyote pop over a rock wall for a split second. Other than that it was quiet, only heard 1 or 2 shots. How about you?

mowbizz

Reaction score
Got out for a few hours between coats of polyurethane (stinky!)
But nothing moved through near my ground blind.

kevin in nh

Reaction score
I went out Saturday and had a nice Doe at 20 feet. Sunday went to another stand and nada but today was a banner day as the woods as 3 different bucks were chasing Doe and it was crazy....no shot though as I was so tempted but it was a really chancy shot and hes a nice buck.

xp600

Reaction score
I went out Saturday and had a nice Doe at 20 feet. Sunday went to another stand and nada but today was a banner day as the woods as 3 different bucks were chasing Doe and it was crazy....no shot though as I was so tempted but it was a really chancy shot and hes a nice buck.
Good self-control, those chancy shots are not worth it in my opinion anyway. Sounds like a good day!

Bill/NH

Reaction score
One unknown trotted by about 150 yds away from my ground stand in WMU M around 7:00AM, saw nothing the rest of the day!!!! Standhunting sucks!!!! So I went out to WMU K on Sunday stillhunting and shot a 127LB 8PTER at 7:44AM!!!!

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I saw a big Coyote and two deer on Saturday. I couldn't get a shot off at any of them though.

Sunday morning I was walking up a hardwood finger. I crested the hill and noticed a deer standing in the hardwoods about 75 yards away. I pulled up my Muzzleloader but couldn't see it real well with the scope on 1, so I cranked the scope all the way up. It was a nice doe that I decided I would take. I pulled the hammer back and was getting ready to shoot when I heard a stick snap to my right. Out of the corner of my eye I see another deer trotting right towards me. It looked like a doe, so I wheeled my gun around, centered the cross hairs on the brisket, and touched one off.

The deer ran by me at about 10 yards. I watched it run out of sight, but I knew it was in trouble. It ran into a couple trees along the way. I found blood, and a lot of it. I tracked the deer until I spotted it bedded down, staring at me. A 2nd shot put the deer down for good. I was super pumped to have venison in the freezer before our season starts here in VT.

I started walking towards the deer. As I got closer, I began to realize that I made a mistake. This deer was much smaller than I thought. Like really small. I got up to it and saw that it was a button buck. Had I been a bit more patient, I would have let this one walk. I can't take it back now, so me and my family will enjoy the tender meat and I'll chalk it up as a learning experience.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
We've all been there. But if your goal is meat in the freezer, try not to feel bad and enjoy the steaks. Congrats, sounds like fun to me.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
We've all been there. But if your goal is meat in the freezer, try not to feel bad and enjoy the steaks. Congrats, sounds like fun to me.
Thanks Pete. I cut the deer up Sunday afternoon. The kids were pretty fascinated with it. We ate the inner loins for lunch and they were pretty darn good.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Thanks Pete. I cut the deer up Sunday afternoon. The kids were pretty fascinated with it. We ate the inner loins for lunch and they were pretty darn good.
I was cutting up a deer in the yard one year on Black Friday. A group of mom's were off shopping, and since I was tagged out, I was volunteered as free daddy daycare. Anyway, it was a fun social experiment to hear a big group of kids, mixed ages, look at the pieces of deer I was taking off and make comments. I think my favorite was a 7yr old girl, from a non-hunting family that lives down in town look at a piece and say "That makes me hungry". She was young and sincere, and it was such a primal reaction. I thought it was fascinating. Meanwhile, my own kids think butchering a chicken is disgusting. I agree with them, and I don't know why. I've eaten home raised chicken my entire life, and really don't care if I ever do anymore. There's something very "clean" about the meat from a wild animal.

Grandkid

Reaction score
I saw a big Coyote and two deer on Saturday. I couldn't get a shot off at any of them though.

Sunday morning I was walking up a hardwood finger. I crested the hill and noticed a deer standing in the hardwoods about 75 yards away. I pulled up my Muzzleloader but couldn't see it real well with the scope on 1, so I cranked the scope all the way up. It was a nice doe that I decided I would take. I pulled the hammer back and was getting ready to shoot when I heard a stick snap to my right. Out of the corner of my eye I see another deer trotting right towards me. It looked like a doe, so I wheeled my gun around, centered the cross hairs on the brisket, and touched one off.

The deer ran by me at about 10 yards. I watched it run out of sight, but I knew it was in trouble. It ran into a couple trees along the way. I found blood, and a lot of it. I tracked the deer until I spotted it bedded down, staring at me. A 2nd shot put the deer down for good. I was super pumped to have venison in the freezer before our season starts here in VT.

I started walking towards the deer. As I got closer, I began to realize that I made a mistake. This deer was much smaller than I thought. Like really small. I got up to it and saw that it was a button buck. Had I been a bit more patient, I would have let this one walk. I can't take it back now, so me and my family will enjoy the tender meat and I'll chalk it up as a learning experience.

Sometimes you just live in the moment. Congratulations on taking home some tasty venison.

Roger-