New Truck

outdoorsman

Reaction score
That is a beautiful truck and very wise financial decisions. I have a friend who is an accountant and he would say your decision making is how business should be run. No reason pay to wrench on something when a trade in for new is possible at a cost lower than maintenance.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I think that is the secret, why buy new when you loose 5,000 when you drive it off the lot? Let someone else take that hit.
I dunno......190.00 a month truck payment is pretty sweet. Nice truck Browse

Last edited:

NorthMaine

Reaction score
That is a beautiful truck and very wise financial decisions. I have a friend who is an accountant and he would say your decision making is how business should be run. No reason pay to wrench on something when a trade in for new is possible at a cost lower than maintenance.
To an extent, but I mean your old truck would have to be a real sh!t box to be dumping $190 a month into it. Plus here in Maine, as KC said, the first few years of registration, you are getting taxed to death in excise on the MSRP.

A lot of factors play into it to IMO. If you drive a lot of miles, it probably doesn't make sense to keep dumping money into an old vehicle.

I have a loaded 06 Sierra. It's been paid off since I bought it used in 2011. It's got like 150k on it and I only drive like 6-7000 miles a year (if that). To replace that truck I'd be looking at probably $600+ payments depending on money down. Obviously the common rust issues are coming out. Rocker panels, cab corners and bedsides. To me, however, I would rather dump maybe $1500 or so into it for the next few years getting the body work corrected. Once that is done, the maintenance should be minimal again. I have never had any mechanical issues with the truck and have kept up with all other powertrain maintenance from 2011 on. In years 2011 till now, I have only maybe put $1000-$1500 in repairs into (I do most of my own work). Most of the things I replaced too were just preventative and not corrective. If I had only replaced things that had to be replaced, I probably wouldn't even have $1000 into it over 6-7 years. I've already replaced all the brake lines with stainless. All 4 corners brakes have been done, ball joints, pitman/idler etc. That $3000 over a few years only gets me like 5mo worth of payments. Plus the additional cost to register it. Initial money lost on the down payment, higher insurance etc.

I mean there is something to be said about getting a new vehicle every 3 or 4 years and never have to drop money into repairing it but, the alternative seems more feasible to me.

Everyone's situation is different.

JDK

Reaction score
Dave Ramsey says to drive a cheap beater shitbox. Dave Ramsey doesn’t have to walk back from Big Eagle.

i drive an cheap beater that started out as an expensive beater. The amount of money I spend on it to keep on the road is stupid.

Last edited:

longbow

Reaction score
Dave Ramsey says to drive a cheap beater shitbox. Dave Ramsey doesn’t have to walk back from Big Eagle.

i drive an cheap beater that started out as an expensive beater. The amount of money I spend on it to keep on the road is stupid.
Still much cheaper than buying a new one. How many times have you had to walk out of the woods? I bet you keep it properly maintained. Having a new truck is no guarantee that you won’t have to walk out of Shit hole swamp LOL they break down too!

That being said. I’m sure to break down next season! LOL I think we will bring my buddies truck again.

Last edited:

.270 Pump

Reaction score
To clarify my earlier post. My truck is my second vehicle so miles per year are low. I also use am auto boker to find the 1-2 year old vehicle. Once found I pay the cost of the vehicle which is his wholesale cost plus his $500 fee. I’ve done it this wsy a couple of times each time getting more truck for the money. I’m not saying this is the best way for all but it works for me.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
To an extent, but I mean your old truck would have to be a real sh!t box to be dumping $190 a month into it. Plus here in Maine, as KC said, the first few years of registration, you are getting taxed to death in excise on the MSRP.

A lot of factors play into it to IMO. If you drive a lot of miles, it probably doesn't make sense to keep dumping money into an old vehicle.

I have a loaded 06 Sierra. It's been paid off since I bought it used in 2011. It's got like 150k on it and I only drive like 6-7000 miles a year (if that). To replace that truck I'd be looking at probably $600+ payments depending on money down. Obviously the common rust issues are coming out. Rocker panels, cab corners and bedsides. To me, however, I would rather dump maybe $1500 or so into it for the next few years getting the body work corrected. Once that is done, the maintenance should be minimal again. I have never had any mechanical issues with the truck and have kept up with all other powertrain maintenance from 2011 on. In years 2011 till now, I have only maybe put $1000-$1500 in repairs into (I do most of my own work). Most of the things I replaced too were just preventative and not corrective. If I had only replaced things that had to be replaced, I probably wouldn't even have $1000 into it over 6-7 years. I've already replaced all the brake lines with stainless. All 4 corners brakes have been done, ball joints, pitman/idler etc. That $3000 over a few years only gets me like 5mo worth of payments. Plus the additional cost to register it. Initial money lost on the down payment, higher insurance etc.

I mean there is something to be said about getting a new vehicle every 3 or 4 years and never have to drop money into repairing it but, the alternative seems more feasible to me.

Everyone's situation is different.
That is all true under the circumstances a person can maintain their own vehicle. Body work, rust prevention, brakes, ball joints, and miscellaneous other repairs can nickel and dime a vehicle owner too death. Especially for those that bring their vehicles to a repair shop. The down time for those repairs can be a large aggravation as well.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
LMAO. No shit. I like 200% confidence in my vehicles. Running a 2014 Chevy Silverado with 110,000 miles on it. Already spent close to $3000 on tires and breaks. i'm getting itchy about it. I have 1 kid in a crazy expensive private college, but she is "wicked smaht" so it is worth it. Kid#2 is a sophomore in high school. I got a 1 year break between kid#1 finishing and kid #2 starting college. I'm thinking I'll get a new truck in that year.

My Chevy has been adequate, but I don't love it. Prior to that I had a Honda Ridgeline (old style). That was a badass little machine. Ugly... but tough as shit and I didn't sink a dime into it for 160 k miles when I got rid of it. Probably should have kept it. I've had Toyota, Chevy, Honda, and Dodge trucks. I wish Honda made more of a truck - truck if you no what I mean. Toyota's were very good too... Chevy has been fine.... my Dodge was ehhh....

Really like the look of Browses new rig though!!

Escout711

Reaction score
That would work well if you are going to run it for many years. Maybe not so much if you are going to trade in 3 or 4 years with an extra one or two years lost in trade in value. I also should have mentioned that my truck is my only vehicle, so it is nice to have something fairly new and presentable for all the places I go.

I think Browse has earned the right to drive whatever he wants to! Certainly nice to get a new rig occasionally, the technology keeps getting better. I like having Bluetooth and satellite radio, and it’s nice to not have to dick around with ticky tack crap that creeps up beyond brakes and tires.

My Chevy has been adequate, but I don't love it. Prior to that I had a Honda Ridgeline (old style). That was a badass little machine. Ugly... but tough as shit and I didn't sink a dime into it for 160 k miles when I got rid of it. Probably should have kept it. I've had Toyota, Chevy, Honda, and Dodge trucks. I wish Honda made more of a truck - truck if you no what I mean. Toyota's were very good too... Chevy has been fine.... my Dodge was ehhh....

Really like the look of Browses new rig though!!
Bob, have you seen the 2019 Ridgeline? Much less ugly than the old Ridgline.

JDK

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack browsline

i put $2500 in my truck in November 2108. Lost the last half of the second week of rifle season. Drove it to camp and parked it the third and lost it the entire 4th week. That was on top of the $1700 total front end rebuild in January 2018. The windows still go up and down randomly, door locks may or may not work, it still runs on 7 cylinder, I still get intermittent heat and the truck will not pass inspection in 2019. I’m driving it until it blows up

ill pay for reliability

Browseline

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack browsline

i put $2500 in my truck in November 2108. Lost the last half of the second week of rifle season. Drove it to camp and parked it the third and lost it the entire 4th week. That was on top of the $1700 total front end rebuild in January 2018. The windows still go up and down randomly, door locks may or may not work, it still runs on 7 cylinder, I still get intermittent heat and the truck will not pass inspection in 2019. I’m driving it until it blows up

ill pay for reliability
Post anything you want on anything I put up . I'm always interested in what you and others have to say. You have had some really bad luck with that truck. That is a lot of money spent, with no hope of recouping any of it. Not funny at all.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
That is all true under the circumstances a person can maintain their own vehicle. Body work, rust prevention, brakes, ball joints, and miscellaneous other repairs can nickel and dime a vehicle owner too death. Especially for those that bring their vehicles to a repair shop. The down time for those repairs can be a large aggravation as well.
That's why I try to do about all my own stuff.

As I said, every situation is different. To me, it's just easier and much cheaper to keep maintaining what I have.

longbow

Reaction score
Browsline, how many miles do you put on per year? Couldn't you just lease a pickup for a couple of hundred a week, with only a small amount down and get a new one every 3 years?

Browseline

Reaction score
Browsline, how many miles do you put on per year? Couldn't you just lease a pickup for a couple of hundred a week, with only a small amount down and get a new one every 3 years?
I drive about 7,000 miles a year. A lease on a truck like mine for 36 months is between $275 and $300 a month with $0 down at signing. About $200 a month with $3,000 down at signing, so about $283 a month. My payment now is about $190. I guess I could have sold it, kept most of the money and paid off the $3,000 signing fee, leased a truck and ended up with a payment that is about what I have now. I could still sell it now and take the money if I got into some kind of financial bind and lease one. I don't know why but I feel better about owning for about the same price. It did take 5 or 6 trucks to get to the point where my payments are this low. I did lease a couple trucks many years ago but was working and driving thousands more miles than the lease so that didn't work out too well.