New toy

BDB

Reaction score
My CMP H&R M1 Garand showed up on December 21st. Merry Christmas to me :) I wanted original wood but got new wood instead. Not a big deal. She shoots great and is in great shape for a service grade rifle. Now I just need to order more ammo, the first 200 round surplus ammo can won't last long!!
m1-garand.jpg

BDB

Reaction score
Yeah, this one and a few others in the last 6 months ;-) Glad the wife doesn't know the safe combo :eek:

I also grabbed a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and an M44 to keep it company. I love the fireball the M44 throws!!! These 3 would be my only mip-surps though.

Last edited:

DeerMeadowFarm

Reaction score
We have a "family weekend" every summer at my BIL's camp in Vermont...basically we're just a bunch of rednecks and we do a lot of shooting that weekend. One of our friend's brings his M1 and it is always the most popular rifle to try out.

BDB

Reaction score
We have a "family weekend" every summer at my BIL's camp in Vermont...basically we're just a bunch of rednecks and we do a lot of shooting that weekend. One of our friend's brings his M1 and it is always the most popular rifle to try out.
It's definitely fun. I figure 2 more range trips (one tonight) to get it out of my system and then I'll rip it apart to finish the stock since CMP only puts one coat of stain and linseed oil on them.

BDB

Reaction score
Since the CMP will dry up on inventory fairly soon (2 years max they say) I figured prices won't be coming down so I had better grab one now. I should have bought 2 and flipped one for a couple of benji's profit to pay for part of this one :) They still have the Springfields for $625 shipped (+$25 shipping) to your door in MA.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Since the CMP will dry up on inventory fairly soon (2 years max they say) I figured prices won't be coming down so I had better grab one now. I should have bought 2 and flipped one for a couple of benji's profit to pay for part of this one :) They still have the Springfields for $625 shipped (+$25 shipping) to your door in MA.
To your door? I though all firearms have to be shipped to an FFL... right???

Joe VTANG

Reaction score
CMP, the Civilian Marksmanship Program, sell surplus military arms to civilians in hopes of promoting competition shooting. If you have the right credentials, such as being a member of a rod and gun club in good standing or many other such credentials, they will ship to your door. Check out www.thecmp.org.

Im pretty surprized it has lasted through all the anti gun crap.

kevin in nh

Reaction score
I bought 2 years back for $400 ea.....prices are up, but still a lot cheaper than what I see every gun show. One is a Springfield and the other is an
H&R and it is one accurate rifle......and a blast to shoot.....then I picked up a Winchester....still unfired....

Remi

Reaction score
Very nice - which Mosin M44 did you get? I've been wanting a Polish version far too long now - pretty smooth and fun to shoot!

BDB

Reaction score
Very nice - which Mosin M44 did you get? I've been wanting a Polish version far too long now - pretty smooth and fun to shoot!
Mine shows Russian (Izhevsk) between 43 and 48 for manufacture. It's in great shape. Nice fireball! Not used to that having shot all hunting rifles (except for ARs) for the most part until the M44 arrived back in June.