New to the forum from Mass

45acp

Reaction score
Howdy folks just stumbled across this forum today and found it very informing! Our group has been hunting North Country together for over thirty years and taken some nice deer. But as you all know there are many lean years as well. We started hunting back in the mid 80's up at Camp Phoenix at Lake Neswandok then moved on to Bowlin Camps . Had many a good year hunting that area until John Smallwood and his wonderful wife sold the place. Also the infamous Roxanne Quimby messed up that area as well. Presently we hunt out of Kingfield up behind Tufts Pond and that area and have had some luck there as well. The thing I like about hunting North Country is the solitude and the mountains. If we harvest Deer that is great but the friendships and family times are priceless. Our group is getting older mostly retired except for my son and my best friends son. Not a giant herd up there as many of you know but some real big boys for sure. I hunt down here in Mass mostly muzzleloader and have taken quite a few but not the same as up in God's Country! Really a pleasure to find a forum as this with folks that share the same passion as we do!

45acp

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! What is your heaviest Buck? Just to know who I’m dealing with. :)
Howdy Longbow nice to meet ya so to speak! My heaviest buck was a 12 pt weighing 231# I shot at Bowlin Camps. Got the Maine Biggest Buck patch. That buck was shot on a Wed. and not checked till Friday so it did lose some weight. That was a great year for us out of five guys we took 4 bucks. Unheard of up there most times. Other ones have been 140 to 160# deer. The former owner of Bowlin Camps Johnny Smallwood used our photo at the game pole for his website. But since then new owners have not. Funny thing was that was in 1995 which was the 100th anniversary of the camp which was founded in 1895! Shortly after that Roxanne Quimby purchased a lot of land in the area closing it to hunting. We continued to hunt the area but became restricted from our favorite spots due to her. We used to hunt across the East Branch of Penobscot. but she closed that area. That is why we decided to change areas over to Kingfield. I was employed by the State of Mass Dept of Agriculture since retired but was doing a Mosquito Abatement job for a resident when he introduced me to his mom and dad who owned place in Kingfield so there we are now. Not a ton of deer but nice area in the mountains. No giants yet but some have been seen but no luck!

Escout711

Reaction score
Howdy folks just stumbled across this forum today and found it very informing! Our group has been hunting North Country together for over thirty years and taken some nice deer. But as you all know there are many lean years as well. We started hunting back in the mid 80's up at Camp Phoenix at Lake Neswandok then moved on to Bowlin Camps . Had many a good year hunting that area until John Smallwood and his wonderful wife sold the place. Also the infamous Roxanne Quimby messed up that area as well. Presently we hunt out of Kingfield up behind Tufts Pond and that area and have had some luck there as well. The thing I like about hunting North Country is the solitude and the mountains. If we harvest Deer that is great but the friendships and family times are priceless. Our group is getting older mostly retired except for my son and my best friends son. Not a giant herd up there as many of you know but some real big boys for sure. I hunt down here in Mass mostly muzzleloader and have taken quite a few but not the same as up in God's Country! Really a pleasure to find a forum as this with folks that share the same passion as we do!
Welcome to the forum, what part of MA are you in? There’s a few good guys from MA on here!

45acp

Reaction score
Hi E Scout, I reside in Southborough Ma grew up in Millbury. My father in law owned Baystate Arms here for 45 years which I worked for for about 20. Sadly he passed away 12 years back and we ended up closing shop after a couple more years. Worked part time and didn't want to give up my state job to take over the shop. I retired this last year now got lots of time to hunt and fish.

Browseline

Reaction score
Welcome to HC, 45acp. Escout711 is wrong about there being a FEW good guys from MA on here. There are a LOT of good guys on here from MA.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Lots of great hunters from New England.

Roger-