New to the Allagash

LMC8541

Reaction score
I just purchased a house and property outside of Saint Francis. I'll be moving from Texas in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to some Maine whitetails and hopefully some grouse and / or pheasant. I hear I'm in a pretty good area. Also I'm an avid fisherman and outdoorsman which is one of the reasons I've chosen Maine as my retirement area. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys and would appreciate any input!

mowbizz

Reaction score
I just purchased a house and property outside of Saint Francis. I'll be moving from Texas in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to some Maine whitetails and hopefully some grouse and / or pheasant. I hear I'm in a pretty good area. Also I'm an avid fisherman and outdoorsman which is one of the reasons I've chosen Maine as my retirement area. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys and would appreciate any input!
If you use YouTube there’s a old buck that has a channel called “East Grand Woodsman” with all his hunting/fishing/trapping knowledge. All Maine all the time.
Sometimes I think he’s a wind bag but some of his videos are interesting and pertaining to the Maine woods. If you find him annoying just shut him off! 🤣
I quit YouTube a while back because of their liberal leanings.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
That's beautiful country up there. There is ton of open country to hunt and not many people. Lots of ruffed grouse and lots of bear. Deer are not very dense and very hard earned in that neck of the woods. Good fishing for trout, salmon, and musky in the general area.

You picked an area with as drastically of a different climate than Texas as you can find in the lower 48. You'll typically have snow (lots of it) from the end of October through May. Invest in good wool clothing, down puffer jackets, gortex, and good pack boots. Winter temperatures are routine in single digits and often below 0. You should also seriously consider a snow mobile.

Congrats and best of luck in your retirement.

LMC8541

Reaction score
That's beautiful country up there. There is ton of open country to hunt and not many people. Lots of ruffed grouse and lots of bear. Deer are not very dense and very hard earned in that neck of the woods. Good fishing for trout, salmon, and musky in the general area.

You picked an area with as drastically of a different climate than Texas as you can find in the lower 48. You'll typically have snow (lots of it) from the end of October through May. Invest in good wool clothing, down puffer jackets, gortex, and good pack boots. Winter temperatures are routine in single digits and often below 0. You should also seriously consider a snow mobile.

Congrats and best of luck in your retirement.
I'm not quite retired yet. I'll be returning to Texas mid-Oct. for work. The wife will be there to set things up and then she will be off to Virginia for work after the first of the year. So this will be our summer retreat for the next few years. Thanks for the info and the welcome. I also have 25 acres outside of Island Falls.
Rob2.jpg

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Contact JDK you and him can get together and lament about the crappy weather. LOL
Don’t forget broken trucks and which river to throw his muzzle loader in.😂🤣😂.

Just kidding Jay but the door was open and I had to come through it like the Kool-Aid man.

JDK

Reaction score
And I'm as serious as a heart attack. The woman who ran me off the road (driving the truck in front of the Ford) was a traveling nurse from...........................................Texas.

Reaction score
I'm not quite retired yet. I'll be returning to Texas mid-Oct. for work. The wife will be there to set things up and then she will be off to Virginia for work after the first of the year. So this will be our summer retreat for the next few years. Thanks for the info and the welcome. I also have 25 acres outside of Island Falls.
View attachment 26499
Thats awesome!! My brother lived in Island Falls(now in Amity) and we are building a camp in Mt.Chase! We love it up there!! Beautiful country for sure!

Browseline

Reaction score
KC, if I left my Tacoma outside my garage all the time during the night, there is a fair chance the catalytic converter would be gone some morning. Thieves seem to like vehicles they can slide under easily.

Latest posts