New to reloading

benny8

Reaction score
My uncle gave me a whole reloading set up. Press, dies, powder dispenser, scale, case trimmer, odds and ends, cci primers, unfired cases, 30-30 bullets, 308 bullets, and 243 bullets. I have not been able to find reloading data to match the bullets. The .308 are ballistic tip nosler boat tails at 165 grain. The 243 are 6mm 100 grain Spitzer made by Sierra, and the 30-30 are a lead bullet. I'm not sure where to find specific load details and if I can use the same powder for all three? I apologize for my lack of knowledge. If anyone could advise me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Aaron

RememberBaker

Reaction score
My uncle gave me a whole reloading set up. Press, dies, powder dispenser, scale, case trimmer, odds and ends, cci primers, unfired cases, 30-30 bullets, 308 bullets, and 243 bullets. I have not been able to find reloading data to match the bullets. The .308 are ballistic tip nosler boat tails at 165 grain. The 243 are 6mm 100 grain Spitzer made by Sierra, and the 30-30 are a lead bullet. I'm not sure where to find specific load details and if I can use the same powder for all three? I apologize for my lack of knowledge. If anyone could advise me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Aaron
Nosler has load data on line, they also have a printed manual.
https://www.nosler.com/cartridge-data/
.308 Win data should be there for the 165 gr BT's.
Personally, I'd use the data for 100 grain Nosler Partitions for the Sierra spitzers in .243 Win. Start at the low end and work up.
I can't help you with 30-30 cast bullet stuff but I think Lyman covers that in their manual. It might be worth the investment if you want to shoot cast bullets.

Last edited:

benny8

Reaction score
Nosler has load data on line, they also have a printed manual.
https://www.nosler.com/cartridge-data/
.308 Win data should be there for the 165 gr BT's.
Personally, I'd use the data for 100 grain Nosler Partitions for the Sierra spitzers in .243 Win. Start at the low end and work up.
I can't help you with 30-30 cast bullet stuff but I think Lyman covers that in their manual. It might be worth the investment if you want to shoot cast bullets.
Thank you. I have the Lyman 50th edition reloading. I will have to look at the 30-30 cast. Any preference to powder?

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Thank you. I have the Lyman 50th edition reloading. I will have to look at the 30-30 cast. Any preference to powder?
I use a lot of IMR 4350 for the .243 Win with 100 grain bullets, I think you can also find data for that powder in .308 Win with the 165 BT's, but I only load 150 grain bullets in .308. Varget is a hugely popular .308 Win powder and I've used it in 7mm-08, but I don't know if it's suitable for .243 Win.

benny8

Reaction score
I use a lot of IMR 4350 for the .243 Win with 100 grain bullets, I think you can also find data for that powder in .308 Win with the 165 BT's, but I only load 150 grain bullets in .308. Varget is a hugely popular .308 Win powder and I've used it in 7mm-08, but I don't know if it's suitable for .243 Win.
Thank you again. I did check out the Nosler loading data. IMR 4350 I see for the 165 grain .308, but it was not listed with the 243. As a matter of fact, there was no powders that matched in .243 and .308. So, maybe I will have to buy 2 different powders.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Thank you again. I did check out the Nosler loading data. IMR 4350 I see for the 165 grain .308, but it was not listed with the 243. As a matter of fact, there was no powders that matched in .243 and .308. So, maybe I will have to buy 2 different powders.
Try here: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
It shouldn't be a problem finding data for IMR 4350 in .243 with 100 grain bullets. That's what I use.

benny8

Reaction score
I'm using IMR 4350 in my 243 pushing 100 grain partitions. By memory I'm loading near 43 grains of 4350.
Thanks Outdoorsman. Also, RememberBaker, I was able to get on the hodgdon site on my phone. Hit the local Runnings last night and picked up some IMR 4350. Tumbled some brass when I got home, hope to load a few tonight. Thank you much.

benny8

Reaction score
Well, it only took a year, but I finally got my first reloads done. I made up some loads for my uncle who gave me the equipment. I also made up some loads for me to test. Varget powder, 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips for him, and 165 gr. Sierra Game King Spitzer for me. This may be a fun hobby.
first reloads.jpg

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Its a ton of fun, you'll love it! I just picked up a 243 in that tikka sale on one of the other topics, and can't wait to put some different loads through it. That's the one thing I will say to make sure you do (you may have already). But once you have the bullet of your choice load 3 up in half grain powder increments up through the advised powder range. Then shoot them all separately with a cold barrel, and keep track of your groups with the differing powder weights and pick your optimal load for that gun. Its so much fun watching your group consistently getting smaller and smaller and smaller, then slowly get larger, and larger and larger. After seeing how your gun shoots so so different with different powder weights makes you wonder why anyone buys boxes of shells of the shelf anymore. Course I guess the average hunter doesn't see a huge difference between a 1/2" group at 100 yards vs a 1" group at 100 yards.

benny8

Reaction score
Its a ton of fun, you'll love it! I just picked up a 243 in that tikka sale on one of the other topics, and can't wait to put some different loads through it. That's the one thing I will say to make sure you do (you may have already). But once you have the bullet of your choice load 3 up in half grain powder increments up through the advised powder range. Then shoot them all separately with a cold barrel, and keep track of your groups with the differing powder weights and pick your optimal load for that gun. Its so much fun watching your group consistently getting smaller and smaller and smaller, then slowly get larger, and larger and larger. After seeing how your gun shoots so so different with different powder weights makes you wonder why anyone buys boxes of shells of the shelf anymore. Course I guess the average hunter doesn't see a huge difference between a 1/2" group at 100 yards vs a 1" group at 100 yards.
I did make up some to do just this. Thank you

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Keep a notebook nearby where you can scribble down the date and some notes. After a while my brain got clogged with numbers. I always labeled the boxes clearly, but always wished I wrote down more info on how they shot, what changes I'd make, or when someone says "Hey remember that 4 pointer that Johnny's uncles neighbor shot with your loads? I want a box of those"

benny8

Reaction score
Keep a notebook nearby where you can scribble down the date and some notes. After a while my brain got clogged with numbers. I always labeled the boxes clearly, but always wished I wrote down more info on how they shot, what changes I'd make, or when someone says "Hey remember that 4 pointer that Johnny's uncles neighbor shot with your loads? I want a box of those"
Thanks Pete, I will jot the information down. Dropping off the worked up loads for my Uncle to try this afternoon. I will test mine this weekend at our 2nd Annual Labor Day cookout and shoot.

Thanks Outdoorsman. Hoping one of us can take a deer with the reloads.

medrhunter

Reaction score
I use a simple 5 digit numbering system to track my loads. Example R1321
First digit identifies the Brass.
Second digit is the number of times loaded.
Last 3 digits is the "recipe" Power & Weight, Bullet & Weight, Primer, seating depth, coal, etc
I have every thing in an Excel spreadsheet.
I write the id's on every load.

When I shoot, I write the load number on the target with other variables and take a picture when done.
This way if bullets get mixed up I know whats what
Target.jpg

benny8

Reaction score
I use a simple 5 digit numbering system to track my loads. Example R1321
First digit identifies the Brass.
Second digit is the number of times loaded.
Last 3 digits is the "recipe" Power & Weight, Bullet & Weight, Primer, seating depth, coal, etc
I have every thing in an Excel spreadsheet.
I write the id's on every load.

When I shoot, I write the load number on the target with other variables and take a picture when done.
This way if bullets get mixed up I know whats what
View attachment 20912
Thanks for the tip medrhunter! Going out this weekend to the shoot the rounds at my family Labor Day Weekend shoot. I will try to remember to take pictures of my targets.

Latest posts