New to hunting

Zaidi100

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently a college student and have a .177 pellet rifle, I am near bennington vermont, and Ive never been hunting before. Would anyone be able to give me some guidance on how to start, especially on where exactly I can hunt? And do i need a license for small game like rabbit and squirrel?

-H

RememberBaker

Reaction score
You need to take hunter safety and you need a hunting license. There’s a small game only license if you aren’t a Vermont resident, if you are a resident you need a regular hunting license. You can hunt on wildlife management areas, there are maps on the Vermont Fish & Wildlife website. You can also hunt on the Green Mountain National Forest, VT State Forests, Municipal owned land and even in VT State Parks after they close for the season.

AMT1379

Reaction score
Step One is to go to your local sporting goods store and see if you can get a copy of the "Abstracts" which are the hunting rules and regs for your state. You can also find links below to the information you need. Just like RB said, you will need to take hunter ed. And search for mentoring programs in your area. The last link is to one option, but if you contact VT Fish & Game I am sure they have a new hunter coordinator that can direct you to lots of programs for new hunters.

Good luck! It's a great experience if you stick with it!

Last edited:

Latest posts