New to hunting...Advice?

groundtender

Reaction score
One more thing from me. I am by no means an advocate of shooting for shooting’s sake, but Gretzky’s Law can be transferred from hockey to deer hunting, or for that matter, to
many of life’s situations. The Great One said “100% of all shots NOT TAKEN won’t score.”

JDK

Reaction score
+1 groundtender

a buddy of mine guided for many years. He said that the success rate would have been much higher had clients actually shot. Waiting for the absolutely perfect broadside shot may happen more often if you hunt food plots and/or are sitting. Far less frequently when still hunting or tacking. Ass shooting isn’t cool but angles and tougher shots are part of the game.

JDK

Reaction score
My father always used to tell us, “buy the right clothing/boots first and worry about guns and scopes second.” If you aren’t out there, you aren’t in contention.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
My father always used to tell us, “buy the right clothing/boots first and worry about guns and scopes second.” If you aren’t out there, you aren’t in contention.
Great advice here! If your out there you have a chance. You don't have much of a chance when your on the couch "warming up"

willy13

Reaction score
One of the easiest ways to learn how to hunt...is to get involved with trapping...tag along with a experienced trapper and ask lots of questions...most experienced trappers will teach you how to think like the animal..how animals move thru the woods, where they like to travel..or frequent the most...blundering around without plan could get frustrating...If I was in your shoes, I wouldnt hunt from the vehicle...way to easy to get yourself in trouble from a vehicle...once you gain sum knowledge from a trapper...you should be able to locate great tree stand spots...if you turn into a stand hunter...hey you could be a tracker who knows?? I love both methods....I get a great thrill of hunting from a treestand because I know sooner or later that buck will come thru the area im covering...try to keep a positive attitude and not get frustrated...First and foremost your hunting have fun...its still a great day to be in the woods....you can go have several great days without the harvest....but if that big buck shows up one time, hes got way more to lose....those days are diamond days,,,,If you cant find a experienced trapper......always try to hunt the edges....edges of cuts...fields...distinct transition areas from thick softwood and hardwood.....if you find a transition area...with sign...believe in it...if you dont see anything...do nor start getting frustrated....climbing down and walking out into the sign everytime...will only screw you the next time you hunt...you just stunk up your area...remember its a great day even if you dont kill.....dont walk around (blunder around) your hunting location...in out same way.........last piece of advise...dont still hunt your treestand area.....once you decide your treestand location...if you feel like walking...go somewhere else to hunt and scout....then go back to your treestand area for the last two hours of the day...

willy13

Reaction score
one last piece of advise...dont by into the thought process "they must be moving at night".....very negative thought...and will not keep you in a spot for long thinking that way....if you ever tracked a big buck in Maine..I can promise those things are on their feet most of daylight hours....Sept or Oct..they could be way more nocturnal....November, they are moving